What if you looked out the window and saw this?

2 Likes

or this

https://7news.com.au/travel/air-aviation/united-airlines-flight-sprays-debris-after-suffering-engine-failure-outside-denver-c-2208940https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-2208940/4c2ff9f507b2c742fd728ca42b0b3250dc01c3c1.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2
Sorry I FUBARd that; see next post!

1 Like

The correct link:

1 Like

Everybody get really lucky on this. Engine let go while still over land and not middle of big pond.

1 Like

This reminds me of an Aggie joke from the 80s when tri-motor planes were common:

Pilot: This is your captain. We have lost our number three engine. Please be assured that we remain well within the safety margin for the aircraft but will arrive at the destination with a slight delay.

After about ten minutes:

Captain: We have just lost our number one engine. Have no fear, this aircraft has been designed to remain aloft on a single engine. We will arrive safely at our destination though we will be somewhat late.

At this point, the Aggie turned to his seatmate and said, “Better not lose that third engine or we will be up here all day…”

3 Likes

The FAA orders immediate inspection of some models of the Boeing 777-200. Broken fan blade suspected.

To tunnel through the paywall, try hitting the Esc key repeatedly as soon as the title of the page appears.

If I saw that right outside of my window, I’d ask for an emergency upgrade to business class.

Bob

2 Likes

I was on a flight from NY to FRA (Deutschland). We were launching when a big flame and bang belted from the engine on my side. We hit the brakes hard, and taxied back.

They held us in the boarding area for 4 hours while they exchanged the engine on our 767, then told us , “All aboard!”.

We began the taxi out to launch, as I was asking the Flight Attendant, “Have they tested this yet?” No response…

We landed in Frankfurt the next day, no more events recorded.

1 Like

If it was me, I would need lavatory class…

1 Like

Me, my first thought would probably be just hoping my inspection stamp wasn’t on the defective blade! (worked P&W).

3 Likes

To be honest, it wouldn’t bother me much. There are sooo many things in your life that can go wrong. I don’t try to get worked up over things I can not control. I might ask for a drink, “Hey can you just start a tab? You can run the card when we land.“

For me, I know mostly, my mortality is out of my hands, I know it sounds morbid. Ive made peace with that long ago. My profession is extremely dangerous, Ive almost been killed probably a half dozen times that I can think of off the top of my head. Do I want to pass away, no, but I’m certainly not going to dwell on it.

Yes, I think about my loved ones, there will always be loved ones to miss you. I’d hope anyway

1 Like

The mention of “hollow blades” got my attention. Must be tricky when checking for cracks.

…hmmmm that engine is really working hard… or hardly working…

In flight weight reduction in the works…

1 Like

Not really. They are made from two pieces in a bizarre welding brazing process. Then final profile machined.

When I worked at Pratt at that time each blade was $25K.

1 Like

images (2)

2 Likes