What do you think caused this?

Not really, we have a responsibility to abide by the rules and to treat equipment and each other with respect. If you can’t do that then you shouldn’t be a member. If someone points something out to you if you should behave like an adult and listen to what is being said. If a rule or mistreatment is happening and you continue to do it then the person pointing it out should not try and enforce anything. They should bring it to the attention of a Chair or the board for action.

1 Like

I’m not talking about “hey, you need to set that tool to not do that.” Certainly ok and expected in the “training required” committee areas.

I’m talking about, “hey, I saw on Talk that you broke the band saw. Let me tell you what I think about you for doing that.”

Do you see the difference?

1 Like

. I see a lot of expert woodworkers in the Woodshop. But yet there Always seems to be broken or damaged equipment… The other night I went to use the triangle Festool sander and it head already need up… sand paper will not stick to the tip anymore :smirk: one week after replacement… I think the issue is two fold- while we pay 60 a month for a awesome workshop with all the bells and whistles… two many have no clue of the cost for replacement parts or that the sander they are using is $600 dollars. They would treat them differently if they had to buy them…

I have some instructional DVDs on use if the major tools on the wood shop… maybe setting up training a training refresher session might help reduce the damaged equipment I’d be willing to offer the classes…

1 Like

This might be cumulative damage. Unlike the other sanders, you can’t see the sandpaper to clean it like you can with the belt and disk sanders.

That said, if the machine can only handle hardwood, it needs to have clear signage that says “no resin or epoxy” and “use metal detector first” and possibly get another metal detector for it so the one that lives on the SawStop doesn’t go missing.

Video for finding the person who broke equipment is good for educating (first) or disciplining/temp ban by the chair (after they keep doing it). Public shaming is just uncool and tears down the community. If someone makes an honest mistake, show them how to do it right. If they flaunt the rules and break stuff, a temp or permanent ban is already the standard way to resolve the issue.