What could the new woodshop use?

• Panel saw as previously discussed. Seems like it’d be quite a boon.
  • Mortising machine (Vertical Mortiser example. Though clearly a cheaper/smaller model. This one would be over kill)
1 Like

Mortiser would be cool, and Delta models are cheap used (~200-300$) all the time on Craigslist.

Maybe a big chain mortiser too! hah

Not opposing the idea of more tables, collapsible saw horses would be more of a space saver in this specific case though, right? I don’t plane or joint things, well ever unless I’m troubleshooting or double checking maintenance I may have done, but would more of the orange rollers be helpful as well?

1 Like

My vote goes to more tables and/or assembly space and a panel saw.

Edit: And also a small bit of reserved space for storing/prepping materials for tasks on the MultiCam. I always feel like I’m intruding on everyone else’s work when I’m moving stuff into place to work on it. :worried:

IMO no the orange rollers are not very good. A true outfeed table would be 10X more useful. Think of trying to use the table saw with just those orange rollers. They are helpful, but not in the same level of effectiveness as an outfeed table. Space should not be at a premium.

3 Likes

OK, I missed the post where you were talking about a specific in/outfeed table. That would definitely be great and probably help with safety having seen some of the ways people cut big pieces on the table saw. I do think in general a saw horse set would be useful, that might be something workshop would have though.

An outfeed table on the large bandsaw would be cool too.

Also, we could make another 1 or 2 sanding stations and have them in 3 different places in the shop. It seems like the Festool HVACS are all sort of jammed up over there. Maybe each HVAC unit gets its own station with rotex, orbital and finish sanders. Would be good to have a downdraft system in the table that is tied into the main DC in addition to having HVAC collection at the tool.

1 Like

um HEPA that is…

My suggestion is in the details.

Dust is a constant in wood shop.

Have vacuums readily available. Also get as may wires off the floor without jamming up fire code.

Look the the chop saw now. It has crevices that catch saw dust. Fill those corners in so it is harder for the dust to collect.

Minimize the places dust can easily collect.

Variation on the theme. Make sure every tool, trash can and other tool has a specific labeled home that anyone walking in can figure out. That makes clean up easier and faster too. It makes it obvious when something is not where it belongs.

Both these suggestions take time. The rewards would be a cleaner and neater Wood Shop.

I do believe the plan is a Festool vacuum at each table. Not sure we want to dish out the funds for 3 festool sanders at each table, that’s some serious cash, but that way if you use the sander, or track saw, or router at any table, you have a vacuum to hook into right there. With the festool tools I don’t know if the downdraft is ever that necessary.

2 Likes

My perception about dust in the woodshop is that most folks think the 3 square foot area where they worked is all the sawdust they created and need to clean up. Also, the one off cuts create sawdust too. In truth the fallout spreads through the shop.

If it would not kill people, I think it would be interesting to lathe or sand something UV. Then get out a UV light to see how far the dust has spread.

“Wow. Interesting results with the dust. Call the hazmat team now.” Not excellent.

Sorry. Did not mean to hijack a wish list post. @Team_Moderators. Please move this to an appropriate thread.

2 Likes

If it would not kill people, I think it would be interesting to lathe or sand something UV. Then get out a UV light to see how far the dust has spread.

Hey now that’d be really neat. Surely there’s UV sensitive resins?

We should just grab ideas from David Stanton’s workshop. It’s so efficient and some of his tricks for dust collection are great. Obviously it still takes work beyond just having good dust collection, but that’s the start of our battle.

I’d also love to see our DC get put into closets to mitigate some of the sound.

3 phase motors on the jointer & planer

4 Likes

Amen to material prep at the MultiCam!

Prep & staging tables with the machines is a fabulous idea. That said, floor space in a workshop is like a vacuum … it gets filled in a heartbeat! I suggest trying to make tables both mobile and as multi-purpose as practical. Would it be possible to mount the planer and the jointer so they have compatible* bed heights and could use the same mobile in/outfeed tables? Also, could we build multipurpose prep tables in a way that they can also be in/out feed tables? In addition, I would propose said tables have fold-down wings that would yield three table length options (no wings, one wing, both wings). Folding feed tables mounted on the large bandsaw might be good way to have the necessarily tall feed tables when needed, but not taking up space the bulk of the time. I’d certainly volunteer to help build if there’s interest and support for the concept.

• edit: changed “same heights” to “compatible heights”. Bed of planer moves, so same is wrong wording. In my defense, it was late!

I think mounting our jointer and planer would be a real pain, given they are larger floor models.

We could, however, do a modified MFSC shop cart so that one of the height levels was equal to the jointer, one equal to the planer, and likewise equal to whatever we wanted.

I think if we got rid of all the single rollers in the shop it’d be a good thing. Stage the thing so that all work tables/assembly tables/etc were on lifting casters (optional). But basically just have everything flow better. It was always awkward to have jointer/planer setup in the heart of woodshop. You’re milling wood in the middle, then having to do a loop to get it back to the table saw, and you have no where to place your milled goods. After you’ve cut down your goods you exit the shop for assembly (albeit no other choice with the current size). Back inside to do routing/sanding but gotta cross everyone with now an even bulkier item.

Every work table could benefit from this. Could have two sizes on each table for larger/smaller projects. One of the metal worktables out in the main area has something similar.

Also new Beisemeyer fence for the Delta. That Delta deserves some serious love.

1 Like

Keep the number of shop vacs minimal since 1) with the cyclones they are clunky to move around and take up a large footprint 2) People seem to not want to clean them out to the point where the filters are getting clogged instead of just cleaning out the dust deputy before that can even occur. On the table saw the usual practice is grab a brush, brush off table saw, sweep, push into floor vac or use shop vac. Lets bypass all that.

Instead tools that we know that will have significant residual dust after usage (table saw, router table [realistically needs a complete new table setup with better DC], etc) have drop downs like this: Instead of large 4-6" hoses we just have the standard 2.5" vac hose.

This will be less floor space taken up, less reliance on members tossing out dust buckets (woodshops #1 issue I feel at time), and quicker and cheaper in the long run

Mounting was not intended to also mean “mobile”. Just to put a platform under the lower machine.