What color/pattern should I use

I recently got an old bike from a friend whom I before move. I’m currently planning on selling it; the only problem is that she decided to paint it herself with craft paint, and her design sensibilities fall somewhere south of Lisa Frank. Taking an informal survey for what color or basic pattern that I should repaint it. Thoughts?

What type of bike is it (road, tri, mountain, beach, …) , and based on the size - I’m assuming it’s intended for a woman?

1 Like

Whatever colour it was originally.
If that’s not desirable for some reason, more info is needed, e.g. type of bike.
Though I hear safety orange, lime green, and lemon yellow are VERY popular just now, being seen on the vast majority of bicycles publicly spotted in the metroplex, so maybe one of those is the way to go for resale since it’s clearly what people want.

1 Like

I’m going to speculate that’s because the rental bicycles are painted those colors in an attempt to prevent them from going missing.

1 Like

ROFL!
Nothing to do with going missing. Geepers, you can’t swing a stick without smacking three or four on any street in the greater Golden Triangle area!
It’s all about marketing. People notice bright colours, so “lime bike” is pretty self-explanatory… As a bonus, they will be more likely to be noticed by motorists, too.
(I am being a smart ass that these colours would be more marketable to SELL a bike to an individual, though. I don’t think people actually want to own those colours any more than white, black, red or other usual bicycle colours.)

1 Like

I’d repaint it to it’s original color, if the info can still be found. Custom paint on bicycles unless it used to be owned by a celeb only detracts from the perceived value(usually).

1 Like

alternately, you could always flex your artistic muscle, and try doing a (heretofor undone, to my knowledge) “BMW Art Bicycle” in the same vein as this “BMW Art Motorcycle”.
The inspiration.

Heck, you might could even get help with it from DMS artists, making a group project of the whole thing…

1 Like

I’d paint it “clear.”

Assuming it’s made of some kind of metal. if a full-carbon-fiber frame, disregard.

Order replacement decals from manufacturer (will need to provide serial number). Strip all components, including pressed-in bearing races (bike shop can help you get those out, and back in). Media-blast or use stripper to remove all paint (don’t go nuts). Clean 'er up, apply decals to bare metal. Clear coat. Reassemble.

Paint…These cars were PAINTED by artists, no peel and stick millennial vinyl!

2 Likes

Interesting. I would say the exact opposite: if it’s carbon fiber, go with clearcoat and call it a day. If it’s shiny metal, clearcoats don’t generally adhere well, and would be to avoid on my list.
Otherwise, good advice…

Oh I agree, clear coat over carbon fiber is awesome. I’d just be afraid to use stripper or media blast a carbon frame.

1 Like

Stripper that also attacks plastic?
Where’d my carbon frame go… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If it’s of any value you need the original color if you want to sell it for a good amount. Also, a bicycle frame is much harder to paint (well) than it appears, especially if by “old” you mean it has lugs.

@zacharymarkson - I’m moving this to Off Topic. Somehow it got moved to 3D Fab which is clearly not the right place.

1 Like

Thanks. probably because i did this on my phone. posting topics on the phone seems to be a little wonky, although that could be due to my phone being haunted

1 Like

It’s just a standard diamond shaped, steel frame mountain bike, 27 in. wheels

If you can’t figure out its original color, then I’d make it blue. Blue appeals to everyone. People might not buy it just because it’s blue, but people won’t shy away from it just because it’s blue.

Might be a great opportunity to try out the new powder coating oven!

1 Like

I’ve never used one before, would that fit a whole bike frame?

1 Like

also, the original color is like a dark green, on the frame, and the forks are somewhere between blue and purple

1 Like

Check out this post as a starting point.

Jim reports that it will fit his truck bumper so it sounds like it ought to fit a bicycle.

1 Like