What classes would you like to see Digital Media teach?

According to the wiki:

"The Digital Media Committee includes Audio, Video, 3D modeling, and software development."

Of those categories which ones do you want to see more of on the calendar?
Please be as specific as you like!
If you haven’t seen a class you want, or you just haven’t seen one that fits your schedule please let me know.

Lighting was always my favorite part of photo/videography so I’m working on a “Lighting Basics” class that should be ready by June at the latest. This class would cover some basic techniques, some low-cost “hacks” and how to use flash photos effectively. Good lighting isn’t hard, and it makes the difference between an ok shot and a GREAT shot.

As soon as DM’s security issues are solved I’ll start teaching classes on how to use the cameras and mics that we have on hand. I was really surprised to see how much equipment we have that has barely been used!

3 Likes

I would like to see a VR introduction. Basics of using it, intro to some makery applications and perhaps a bit on resources for developing for it.

1 Like

How about intro to Twitch live streaming with Open Broadcaster integration with some cool plugins.

Someone beat me to getting a VR class on the calendar, but I still submitted my own. I’m looking into what the best VR modeling programs are.
From what I’ve seen so far if you need precision you’re better off with a traditional CAD program, but if you just want to sculpt something for 3D printing or what have you then VR might be a great way for modeling novices to create something really cool and organic looking.

1 Like

Thanks for being specific! I am also drafting a web-streaming class. I’d like to have a few methods so the class can be kind of software agnostic.
I’ve never used Twitch myself, can you think of any interesting plugins off the top of your head?

I’m not that experienced at it either but I love the shine of the streams because of the plugins. When new users subscribe for example… here is a list I found …

https://www.videogamespaymybills.com/top-73-useful-twitch-tools-list/

1 Like

Something good might be to setup two cameras. One from the notebook focused on the person streaming and the other focused above (or screen capture) and bring them together into one stream. This is a common thing to do. People working on artwork for example want people to see what they are doing… I would love to see people live streaming on a Dallas Makerspace Twitch stream 24 hours a day from different locations around the space.

Great ideas, and thanks for the link.

Saaaay, did you know that Digital Media is looking for a Vice Chair? hahaha

I would like to see Digital Media to build a smart classroom and setup recording of classes. DMS has invested heavily into this capability and as of now nothing has been completed over years of funding.

4 Likes

Classroom Committee is already doing this. We have a new touchscreen mounted in the lecture hall and I am working on it with Mark Havens. As well as calendar integration. The investment was from the camera and touchscreen. Both have gone missing in the time of my absence.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/missing-logitech-pan-and-zoom-camera-from-lecture-hall/35703

Missing touchscreen?

While doing inventory I found a small, I wanna say 7" screen with a raspberry board in the back of it.
It looked like an unfinished project, could this be the touchscreen you’re talking about?

As for streaming of classes, this looks like low-hanging fruit.
I think that creating a SOP for streaming should be relatively simple. I’d like input from the classrooms committee on that front since they might have a better understanding of the spaces needs.

Since you brought it up…

I’m a User Experience Designer in the digital creative space. I wouldn’t be opposed to teaching some classes on Design Thinking and Website Usability if the interest was there. These classes I recognize are less “maker” and more intangible concepts to think about before “the making” so I would understand if it doesn’t necessarily fit for this space…

4 Likes

No, it wasn’t a small touch screen. I would say it was about 22 inches.

That said… I welcome any help that you or anyone else would like to provide. I’m in the process of updating all of the server software and getting it all set back up. I believe it is a SIG under Classroom headed by Mark Havens. @mrhavens We should get together and have a meeting.

1 Like

@themitch22 and @MrPink may be able to help you as they use Twitch to stream Robot Rebellion events for Dallas Area Robot Combat.

2 Likes

UX is near and dear to my heart, as I’ve had to deal with some awful designs in my day.
I think you might get some interest there, I’m sure there are lots of members who made their own site.

@draco - I’m usually available nights and weekends, and I’ve been keeping up with Discord as well. I’m glad to help with whatever I can. I’m really behind when it comes to web integration so I’m not sure how helpful I can be.

I think it would just be helpful to have ideas and someone else that can teach classes on it for people.

Thanks … :slight_smile:

Draco I did see this post and have to wonder at this point has a police report been filed? This is not something that just “accidentally walked out” this is theft.

To bring it back though the single greatest thing IMO is to start documenting existing training that is happens at DMS.

LOL yep there’s a reason I get paid to “make it better” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This only partially applies to DM, but it would be kinda nice to see a “What software do I use for this 101” that covers the most used software between DMS areas. I know there are classes for specific software and that if you’re taking a 101 class for something that requires software use they give you a basic how to but, at least to me, there seems to be a kind of unspoken expectation that everyone has already used all this different software before and should know the basics already. I’m not finding the words I want to actually explain what I mean so sorry. I know the simple answer is Google it, check YouTube and look at the wiki etc… Those don’t always help though especially if you know you’re supposed to ask a question but don’t know enough about the subject to even ask. Is this making any sense? Like a DMS primer or something that just drills down software, where it can be used/useful and maybe a few sources of credible tutorials from YouTube or Google etc… Maybe that’s asking for the moon or just wanting to be lazy

2 Likes