What classes do people want in electronics?

The $50 board above has a note included; Programming cable not included, available separately…

It does include a usb cable, though…

This is going to sound strange but I would love to figure out how to fix things. How to identify what a broken component looks like and how to replace it or how to even order what’s wrong. its simple but needed by me.

we can show you common problems like a bulging capacitor or loose wire

The first sense you should use in diagnosing a problem is usually not eyesight, but your sense of smell. When things break they will usually release some magic smoke. Sniffing the circuit can help localize the problem area.

After that, you look for components that are discolored, covered in goo, etc…

After that, …

That’s cool with me. I know it’s not a big thing to most but if we could host “fix it nights” where the community brings in broken things to break them apart it might be a really big win for electronics. Not that they need to win anything.
All of this is just in my head and logistics/pr/volunteers are just magic and happen without much effort.

3 Likes

I like the “fix it nights” concept. Maybe the item doesn’t get actually fixed, but some of the collective hive Maker expertise could give a good diagnosis that would help in getting it fixed or deciding that even hospice treatment isn’t warranted.

1 Like

sniffing the circuit? Are you kidding

No. There is a very distinctive “burnt electrical” smell, especially for windings.

2 Likes

Andddddd learning happens with just deciding to take apart things too. Ayden and I are always cracking open tvs and touching them with metal sticks…ungrounded.

But no really I think deconstruction and figuring out how components work is a great lesson.

I’ve got a 40" TV he is welcome to take apart, you want it? If so, I can drop it off at next off-the-wall film fest.ilm

I’m just kidding. A tv can apparently kill you or at least zap you into next week.
Pa thanks to the knowledge base of Chuck and @jphelps (and ebay) the 8mm is healed and ready to go again! Stay tuned for another party! I don’t think I told you the big mama blew up at the last party.

Should we be scouring eBay for old films - a BYOM.

This was certainly true of cathode ray tube TVs, but I don’t think the danger is as high, since LCD displays don’t use 15,000V+ supplies. The caps in those could carry, dangerous/painful charges for days… Don’t as me how I know.

While you have to be careful with the 120V power supply components, those are easily identified. The general rule is to always keep one hand in your pocket.

I like this idea about a regular fix it group meeting. We could select one device and walk through the diagnosis and possibly the repair. Then depending upon time move to the next device…

And if we do this on a Sunday afternoon, we could then all go to our weekly barbeque…

What do you think @artg_dms

1 Like

This would be a great way to make learning electronics relate to your life and be interesting and a motivator to learn more. I know I’d enjoy it and learn something just hearing the discussion.

So @Photomancer, would you consider this an honorarium eligible class, or just an event?

If it’s a just bring it in and lets look under the hood. I would say that’s an event - a cool one, but not structured enough.

It would need some structured learning to it. Say have several flow-chart checklist things that show how to trouble shoot a problem. What are the causes, etc. Then show how this is applied to the patient and go through and demonstrate what is looked for, how replace, etc.

Something along those lines. Does that make sense? It can’t be just well heck, lets look at it. As to be something definable that is taught. The rest is demonstrating how that knowledge is applied.

Capacitors on motors in Wood Shop could be a multi-class event.:wink:

Created an event for Sunday, September 3rd, starting at 4:30p and going till we leave for BBQ at 6:30p

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/3530

We will see how it goes.

3 Likes

I have a mosquito magnet I’m going to bring!!

You must have a LOT of those around your back yard, they work great.