What books do you normally read

Continuing the discussion from Sci-Fi Book Recommendations:

I didn’t want to derail Fanks thread. I personally dont read Sci-Fi books. What other books do you read?

I personally read a lot of engineering books. I do mean a lot. Carpentry books, books on cars including hot rod stuff, Electronics, reloading, house building, books on war & military.

3 Likes

I probably read more magazines than text books unless it is for a specific program or such.

Woodworking and woodturning magazines are my favorite. Both for ideas and techniques or projects. If I do read a book, it’s probably science fiction.

1 Like

I’ve been reading thouirh the “50 Ideas…” series, like:

and

I learned a lot of this in high school and college, but is amazing 1) how much one forgets; and 2) how fun it is to be reminded. The chapters are bite-sized, usual 4 pages long, so you can read 1 or 2 chapters while on the crapper or falling asleep. Or falling asleep on the crapper…dealer’s choice on that.

7 Likes

There are so many good books!

• Non-fiction
    • Technical things related to Making and Project plans
    • Religious exegesis and contemporaneous history context
    • Fiction
  • Fantasy
    • Urban Fantasy (Butcher - Dresden, Silvers -Nate Temple, JR Ward - BDB [curse the person who got me to read this series]. Dunbar - Imp series, Eisler - John Rain, Willis - Arcane casebook
    • Current Authors Fantasy & Sci-Fi: John Ringo, Jeff Wheeler (Poisoner series), CJ Cherryh (Foreigner series), Marko Kloos, Sanderson - most any of his, Terry Brooks - Elf Stones series, David Brin
    • Thomas covenant series by Stephen Donaldson

Went to look at my Amazon account - 79 pages of books (10 per page), not counting Kindle unlimited.

2 Likes

It depends upon many factors, the last 5 books:

1. High Vacuum Technology
  2. Galapagos --Vonnegut
  3. The Meaning of Relativity --Einstein
  4. Good Omens --Pratchett
  5. The History of the English Speaking People --Churchill

best newspaper: The Epoch Times
best magazine: Scientific American

3 Likes

1 Like

Good Omens. Read the books and the mini-series was excellently cast.

3 Likes

This is a good introduction to what went wrong with our military after WWII and an excellent view of the history of the Korean War.

Russell Ward

1 Like

Reading the James Acton series:

Just like a drug dealer, the first book is free for Kindle users. Total brain candy…

2 Likes

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is one of many good books by Cory Doctorow. Cory was one of the founders of https://boingboing.net/

The book is a future history book about Walt Disney World in the 22nd century. Cool part it was released under Creative Commons and it is free to download here.

I read dallas makerspace talk forum. The plot is a little hard to follow, but it has all the qualities of a good read. Drama, mystery, more drama. And pictures!

15 Likes

Audible has allowed me to greatly expand my reading time, and I’ve found, like a lot of people, I like to have at least two books open at any given time. One of them needs to have a positive and/or personal growth leaning, and the other a story or topic that leads me into pure mental escape. Some of my favorite reads:

Positive/Growth genre
Flourish by Martin Seligman
Mindset by Carol Dweck
When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing by Daniel H. Pink
Simple Rules by Jeff Cummings (YPO learnings)
Ultralearning by Scott Young
Brain Rules by John Medina
Any of the Freakonomics/Think Like a Freak books by Levitt and Dubner
Spark by John J Ratey
Many, many more that have positively influences me.

Escape Reads
First two Louise Penny books in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series (and I’m on to the next one) Good books to the last page.
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (16+ book series)
The Alienist by Caleb Carr
Chaser by John Pilley and Hilary Hintzmann
Stumbling on Happiness, The Poisonwood Bible, Celestine Prophecies, and many, many murder/detective/criminal investigation novels/series, from Ken Follett to Vince Flynn, Jonathan and Faye Kellerman to JD Robb, Robert Crais, and others.
every Lee Child/Jack Reacher book :slight_smile:

I love a good series so I’m scanning this thread for leads. Thanks to all that have put books out there on this thread and the SciFi thread!

2 Likes

thanks for this! new to me

I was good until the “Celestine Prophesies”, people getting murdered for having abortions by a ruthless government, running through the jungle to avoid the “pro-baby” counterinsurgents…could be a little far fetched. Oprah is out, Family is in. I’m good with the flow.

1 Like

Where in the Celestine prophesy is abortion discussed. I can’t remember the book very well I read it in decades ago as fiction. I did several google searches nothing on this topic came up. I even did searches for the author and abortion and found nothing. I bought the ebook version and did searches for abortion and pro life and the search results were zero.

“One baby” is the central theme of the book. It was pretty much the manual for becoming a helicopter Mom. Along with the One Baby philosophy, it naturally follows that abortion is openly accepted and condoned, just as it was in China in the last century.

Our hero is hunted by government assassins for bringing this One Baby philosophy (through the uber cool Celestine Prophesies, revealed disappointingly one-at-a-time) to the inhabitants of some Hispanic banana republic. The plot is goofy, the prose is hideous, and there are gigantic holes in the narrative. But, Oprah approved.

SX316_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

SX370_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200
Need to get past the part on complex numbers for laplace transforms. ( i know under achiever. need to understand the poles/ asamutops in circuit simulation let alone resolution of systems of complex numbers to arise at as solution. ??? was it sinario based math. kind of because no closed form exist for polynomials of degree 4 or more???) 51sjXTSL2FL I kind need to do this to get real world data…

ISBN :9781947456471

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book.

Just started this one.

1 Like