We're officially now a Coding DoJo

His well funded and excellently logoed egg business (aydens eggcellent eggs) is shut down by a current chicken freeloader strike.

Non-producing asshats

Do we want kids 7 to 17 being called regularly to the space for classes?
The essence of the Coding Dojo is for kids.

Have him put their food in a KFC bucket ā€¦ and have him tell them " Ayden Agriculural Products has two divisions: Renewables products and single-use consumables. All workers are subject to inter-divisional transfers"

6 Likes

No you read something into my post that is not there. Woodshop, metal shop, machine shop, none of these aim to train people to get a job. We aim to train people to safely use tools to make projects. Woodshop 101, welding safety, laser 102, none of these classes aim to create expertise or create jobs. You started this thread advising the goal is to get ready for a job in software coding in 14 weeks. I have no problem with any specific committee regardless of size. I have a major problem with a committee planning to ask for thousands of member dollars to train people for a job. This doesnā€™t sound maker related, yes educational, but not maker related.

2 Likes

And the real assumption here is that Iā€™m even asking money of any sort from the space for these classes.

Yes, as I pointed out any honorarium classes requested by myself stays 100% within the makerspace. So no members money is not going to something else its already within the coffers of the makerspace.

Now have we even remotely thought that Iā€™ve even remotely submitted any of theses classes as honorariums?

No, they have not.

doesnā€™t sound maker related

The maker movement origins are from hackerspaces and thus hackers ethics are at the root of all things maker.

To Quote;

The maker culture is a contemporary culture or subculture representing a technology-based extension of DIY culture[ citation needed ] that intersects with hacker culture (which is less concerned with physical objects as it focuses on software

1. You can create art and beauty on a computer. ā€“ http://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Hacker_Ethic

Besides that fact.

Woodshop, metal shop, machine shop, none of these aim to train people to get a job. We aim to train people to safely use tools to make projects

yet there has been members that turn around and start small businesses using these same skills they learn here either by selling their things on etsy/online or go off to get jobs in light industry.

One could say that in of itself is not very maker uness these individuals are posting their works as creative commons and downloadable stl files.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think there is any reason you should have moved this to a new thread. It was relevant to your post.

You have now avoided and deflected a direct question twice.

Is this going to lead to dozens/hundreds of honorarium classes to train someone for a job?

Your arguments are not relevant, someone taking a basic class then building a skill on their own to run a small side business is not even close to comparable to planning a 14 week program with the intent of getting someone a job. Your reluctance to answer the question and how defensive you are getting makes me think my suspicions were correct.

5 Likes

We are about collaboration more than becoming a school. We have an education component but our main thrust is collaboration, exploration and sharing of that knowledge, at least according to the Mission Statement.

This said, we can explore having a more course like structure. I like the idea of having courses for things. Such as learning machining. Nick has put together some classes that teach machining as opposed to just how to be safe and not break things. If we want to have a school like curriculum, and pay for it, we need to discuss it and see if we can get a consensus on what the membership wants. This topic has been brought up before but hasnā€™t gained much traction.

If, however, you still want to do this Coding Dojo, I suggest you read more about Coding Dojo, especially the part about being only for kids 7 to 17 and with no adult classes. Second, decide how to handle all of the kids and parents. Third, figure out how many classes we can reasonably handle without impeding our financial status or our other operations. Forth, contact the board and let them know your plan and objectives and allow them to approve or deny it. You will have to do this anyway in order to sign up officially.

I just would like to ask how in your plan @denzuko will this program be rolled out/done at DMS.

1 Like