Wemos/Arduino/Blynk/ThingSpeak question from a student

I received a PM from a student in the class last night. I am putting it on talk in hopes of a better answer than I can give to his question.

Hey Brady,
Thanks for hosting the class yesterday, it really got me interested in trying some projects out using micro-controllers. I remember you saying you weren’t sure about Blynk as a platform, what other method would you recommend for getting a microcontroller to communicate with a mobile device over the internet?
Thank You,

That is an excellent question that I am not qualified to answer. Let me call in a few folks that may have insight and I’ll give some background on my comment. @Bill @eric24 @zmetzing @Dale_Wheat @denzuko @Microrustyc

My background in this is strictly as a hobbyist who got involved with it from interest, found it fascinating and helpful, shared with friends and now is doing classes. I have not researched either of the companies that I have used very much. Blynk, especially, seems to be having growing problems. My comment was along the line that they are both interesting and useful from a hobby standpoint but I would be careful and research much more before I used them to support a business. I understand that the server software of both companies is open source and can be run on, for example, a Raspberry Pi.

I did an early class using ThingSpeak where I used the platform as a method of sending Tweets for updates or alarms. I do not plan to repeat this but may pull material into other classes.
Build a $10 Alarm that Tweets
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/3261

The class that Daniel refers to uses the Blynk platform and a microcontroller at home or wherever and the sensors can be monitored or actuators activated from anywhere you have cell service.
Arduino: Blynk into the Internet of Things!
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5516

I have installed sensors on the chiller tubes of Blitzen to archive temperatures on the Blynk.cc platform. In a few weeks, I will be offering a class on how to do this for yourself. The following link gives info, links to live plots and suggestions on the future. Note that it runs on a free overloaded server of a company that would like for me to upgrade. If the 24 plot fails, try it later.

I think both services are fascinating from a hobby standpoint and plan to continue to use both until I find something better. I have corresponded with a DMS member who might be interested in handling server side programming if the laser test turns into a project and if I am not tied to ThingSpeak. I instantaneously responded that I am open to anything he would like to use.

I hope that those who know this field more than I will respond with info.

3 Likes

@bpamplin - I am building a platform to take care of the server side stuff. I will post soon and give DMS a test account to see if this would help people.

2 Likes

We will be looking forward to hearing more! I already have a bunch of questions but I will be patient and wait for the roll out.

According to the documents one’s iot device would be talking http to blynk-cloud.com:8442. That’s great for one or two IoT devices, plus your home router and personal computer. But, at the expense of having large amount of traffic or lost packets of sensor data which doesn’t scale past the hobby/bragging rights level of things.

On the client side it looks great imho. But I’d suggest reverse engineering the blynk api client and adding that as a module to telegraf so one can have thier iot devices talk MqTT which is better at scaling and then run telegraf on a rpi3+ or atom board as the master bridge to the blynk cloud.

english version

1 Like

On my list to look at if I ever get that far is node-red. It appears to be an IoT framework based on node.js and MQTT. So it might be a strong contender.

2 Likes

I intended to paste the link. Must have been later than I thought.

https://nodered.org/

2 Likes

That looks really cool. Hopefully I can think of something silly/useful to do with it!

Node-red looks fascinating. I will give it a try Real Soon Now…

That looks really cool. Hopefully I can think of something silly/useful to do with it!

done…

2 Likes

ooh, I bet that would be a great counter surfing cat deterent if you add a noise to it. Just need to hook it up to something that can track IRL motion. A kinect maybe?

1 Like

got you covered there:

1 Like