Welding/Plasma cutting class

Hi, new to the maker space. Looking for a class for the metal shop so I can get started. Any idea when the next one will be?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

not sure if I can make something happen this week, but the first Saturday of every month is our committee cleanup day. To anyone that shows up and contributes I make a point to sign them off on basically anything part of the metal shop…

Cheers,
-Jim

4 Likes

What time is that?

1 Like

Meeting is at noon. Clean-up is after the meeting. So, show up at noon on the first Saturday.

What version of welding were you interested in?

1 Like

I am interested in learning, I have questions. :smiley: I eventually want to cut some things out with the plasma cutter.

1 Like

For welding and the Dynatorch, you’ll need the Hot Process Safety Class first. So, I’ve put a class up Friday 9/4 7 pm. The day before the Metal Shop Committee meeting.

If that doesn’t work for you, let us know. Somebody could sit down with you and do a one-on-one run-down.

Be aware that if you’re going to be learning welding, we currently only have the welding helmets. You’ll need safety glasses – Z-87 + U. Your clothing should either be fire-retardant or 100% natural fiber (cotton, linen, wool) (nothing that melts). Shoes should be leather ideally. (Maybe we’ll make denim shoe covers after Hot Process). You will definitely need welding gloves. I bought mine at Metroplex Welding on Harry Hines, but I wear a Small. Northern Tool could be an option. Harbor Freight one-size gloves might work for you. You will need a fire-retardant mask. Those are available at Wally-Waldo, which is on the east side of 35E just south of us. Mention DMS and they’ll give you a 10% discount. If you wanted to buy fire-resistant clothing of any kind, they’re a good place. No gloves, though. You’ll also need something between your head and the welding helmet. Bandanna, balaclava, hat – something.

3 Likes

Oh, and that class will show up on the Calendar in about 72 hours.

1 Like

Thank you. I am trying to make this work. Juggling a few things. I am fairly certain I won’t be able to make the meeting on the 5th. Double checking to see if my guild meeting got moved.

I would also be interested in a class on the plasma cutter next time that rolls around.

Soooo… right now it looks like Jim is the only one teaching, and he’s only teaching for folks who show up to the Metal Shop monthly meeting (1st Saturday at noon) and help out. Then he’ll train you. Our main trainer moved to Austin. Nobody else is quite up to speed. They invited me to the last train-the-trainer, but I have none of the required computer skills at this time.

1 Like

Thanks. I wouldn’t mind doing that. I’ll make a note for my calendar

1 Like

The CNC Plasma isn’t bad at all. Just like anything else, once you get comfortable, its second nature.

2 Likes

I’ve got a new instructor lined up to teach their first class, so keep an eye out.

Also for the first Saturday cleanups, I teach anything in the metal shop to anyone who volunteers in our cleanup day and not just the plasma.

Cheers,
-Jim

3 Likes