Welding not Soldering - MIG Talk

MIG
MIG
MIG

I don’t really plan on becoming a master welder, and I don’t mind if people call me names for wanting to go the pleb route.

Alls I know is I wanna glue metal together and I don’t have the dexterity or patience for TIG welding.

1 Like

I’ve got a MIG class in process that should go live this evening. It’s for a week from Thursday (on the 28th).

3 Likes

ROFL.
@zmetzing refers to MIG as the “metal hot glue gun” (and not in a condescending way).
:+1:

2 Likes

I’m at the point where I don’t mind the purists condescending to me as long as I get to do some welding.

I realized recently that I can rent a MIG welder and I have friends with backyards so now the only thing standing between me and actually welding is the know-how.

3 Likes

huh. Never looked into that. Care to share?

I’ll spare you the LMGTFY link and say that I haven’t done much more than a quick googling.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/items/1447/mig-welders/

1 Like

Aw.
Thank you.
:smile:
I’d just never even considered it.
I should have known Sunbelt would rent such a thing. The seem to rent every other kind of equipment under the sun…

1 Like

I see what you did there!
(sorry for derailing the thread, back to arduino based scopes)

don’t bother waiting for a class. MIG literally is about as easy as a glue gun, just watch a few youtube videos on adjusting feed/amps so you know what you want it to look like.

little confused about the title of the new thread…

Seems kind of petty, and feuding mods on the forum is not the face that we want to put forward on the forum.

EDIT: If you didn’t like the name given to the new thread you could PM the mod who made it, or you could just use a more neutral tone.

2 Likes

Seems kind of petty, … not the face that we want to put forward on the forum

Agreed. The original thread was flagged for separation and this was the results. The title change is a little uncalled for and warrants review.

OK. OK. I did the childish title change (which anyone can see using the history). Because it made more sense than the chosen title, and made more sense than the current title. Why is “soldering” EVEN a part of the title?
But more importantly, why, oh why, Dwight, are you fiddling with threads? Just leave them well enough alone. That topic wandered off topic briefly, and was COMPLETELY followable until it got split off, making no sense and drawing attention back to an already completed meander. I am severely missing the “hands off” moderation we’ve enjoyed here on TALK since I became a participant, and I reacted a little immaturely to what I percieve as an increasingly heavy moderation of a resource I think needs, more than anything else, to be LESS moderated.

Breathe 2, 3, 4.
How, exactly, is “solder” a sensible component for the subject of this (ripped senselessly from its parent) thread?

1 Like

@jast I’ll quote Lisa on this one and say talk is not as heavy hand moderated since she retired from moderation. I can understand the perception and concern but there is a lot of threads which do not get any changes and a good moderator is know but not seen.

However, we can discuss this further in the moderator’s inbox to keep the thread on topic.

Pulling this thread back on topic…

Is there a primers’ class needed to use the MIG welder or any upcoming welding class? Particularly geared towards making damascus / mokume gane?

Lisa’s mistaken on this point, but sets an excellent example to follow. I miss her moderation.

Fair enough.

Agreed. I’ve been seeing a LOT recently compared to historical record.

no idea what that means. Obviously.

ALL welding processes require 2 training components, or equivalent as judged by Chuck and/or Tim: metal shop/welding safety and welding process specific instruction. This is generally obtained by taking a safety class and then a process class (MIG or GMAW) in this case, but could be TIG/GTAW and or arch/SMAW instead). Alternately, some instructors @malcolmputer for example, choose to incorporate safety into their process classes.

I have no idea how any of these play into damascus, nor what mokume gane is, so I’ll have to tap out on that.

Not super clear on what you mean here. The MIG machine is training required- this what the class is. There is a safety class that’s required before taking the MIG specific class. Later, they’ll be combined, but there’s enough of a back log of people who have the safety but not the MIG, I figured it was only fair to give them first shot.

Sort of the beginnings of a complex question. Can MIG be used to help set your damascus layers? Sure, TIG (specifically fusion TIG) is probably better, but MIG will work. For mokume? It really depends on the metals you choose to involve. Mig might work, but TIG is probably better suited.

2 Likes

mokume gane is basically the japanese version of Damascus steel but with other non-precious metals like brass, bronze and similar metals.

1 Like

Ah.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mokume+gane&t=canonical&atb=v116-7_b&iax=images&ia=images
Still no idea how TIG, MIG, nor Arc enters into this game.
I’ve seen “welding” in this sense used to weld strata together to make “damascus” (what I’d call “bastard damascus”, but I’m uncouth, probably) and any of them work. Most folks use MIG or FCAW because it’s quick and cheap.

Still no idea how TIG, MIG, nor Arc enters into this game.

From what I’ve seen on youtube most get sheets of the metals they wish to combine then after layering in a pattern they spot weld the corners before heat welding the billet as a whole.

edit:

1 Like

Yep. Same as “damascus” that I’ve seen, but never done (and prefer not to call “damascus”, but that’s the phrase if you want to find it on the yootubers).

1 Like