Welding helmet for solar eclipse

Guys,

What kind of welding helmet should I get, if I also want to use it to look at the Sun during the upcoming solar eclipse?

After I took the welding class on Saturday, all I need is just one more reason to buy a welding helmet!

1 Like

You’ll need non-self-darkening (permanent shade) of 14 or darker, per random Internet search contestant space.com Totally misread that! Here’s a link to NASA which states, in general, the same tools used for viewing the sun in general is acceptable for solar eclipse viewing.
That’s going to be pretty dark for some types of welding, but you can buy different shades for the permanent shade style…

Or just buy some #14 safety glass.

OK. but you said you wanted a welding helmet…

Or just buy the cheap paper glasses on E-bay for a dollar or two each.

2 Likes

I am afraid of those. I don’t want to burn out my eyeballs! LOL!

Or just watch this:

They’re guaranteed to work or they give you your money back.

1 Like

Just get the ones actually recommended by NASA.

1 Like

I’ve used the one’s from Rainbow Symphony for years. Looks like most of the products are currently sold out.

1 Like

If you just want the glasses, there is a 5 pack for $10 on Thinkgeek… http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jqsu/

1 Like

Ace hardware by the space has these.

4 Likes

The more you spend on fancy viewing stuff, the more you guarantee it will rain.

Either that or it’s bad luck to be superstitious, I can’t decide on a philosophy…

James Thurman (awesome metal smith from UNT) will be doing a DIY eclipse glasses workshop at Oil and Cotton. I’m not sure what the fee is but I imagine for those planning on hardcore viewing it should be pretty fun

I keep kicking around the idea of having a class to make eclipse viewers from paper tubes and aluminum foil. Tried making one a few weeks ago out of Pringle’s cans and it worked pretty well.

2 Likes

I still need to make projection viewers for my kids. If anyone wants to do a class on this I’m very interested.

I’m not a particularly huge fan of pinhole projectors. Pinhole projection, yes. Pinhole projectors, no. I prefer to use natural objects. Anything with a small diameter hole should do the trick.

This image was created with a loosely woven wide brimmed straw hat. Gets the job done in a unique way and keeps the sun off your head and out of your eyes when you are not projecting the image of the sun.

2 Likes

@Julie-Harris perhaps this link (to a link) can aid in your endeavors: https://twitter.com/elakdawalla/status/892369649240858624

1 Like

FYI Walmart has these now. Only a buck.

1 Like