Welding/Fabrication Help Needed

I know it’s a big ask but I was wondering if some kind soul would be willing to help me with a little project I’ve got.
I need to fabricate 4 metal plates, roughly the size of these caster base plates with 4 holes for mounting bolts, and weld them to 4 of these cast iron floor fittings.
I took the MIG welding safety class almost a year ago and haven’t actually been able to put it into practice and I have no idea how to begin fabricating the metal plates that the casters would bolt to.
I was wondering if someone would be gracious enough to help me out? My experience is more in the woodshop so I’m a bit out of my element here…

Welding Cast Iron can be tricky and requires special rod, usually very high Nickel content. If possible you may want to braze them. For this purpose I’m sure it would be strong enough.

Alternatively, you could try bolting the these cast iron fitting onto the mating plate using a counter sink and a machine screw head so it doesn’t interfere with the mating surfaces. Then that plate picks up the 4 holes the caster.

Personally I’d try brazing it, the loads and load paths wouldn’t strain brazing joint at all and you can do it with a couple of MAPP torches.

Edit: To e clear, braze onto a separate plate that is bolted onto caster. Brazing directly onto caster would anneal metal and damage the bearings.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of brazing metal before, let alone even attempted it haha
That still leaves the question of how I’d be able to fabricate some plates with holes that the casters would bolt too.
I apologize for my ignorance in all of this. My experience is in the woodshop, not so much with metal working.

So… You want to bolt the casters shown to the “black iron” plates shown, and you’re thinking an adapter plate in between?
I have 2 immediate thoughts, pretty knee jerk, but maybe it’ll get the ball rolling…

1. just drill the plates to the 3 existing holes, and bolt them on with 3 bolts
  • maybe clean up the ears of the existing holes for a clean appearance
  1. draw 'em up in your favorite CAD program and cut them out of whatever plate you’re wanting with the Dynatorch.
  2. (Bonus) Cut with handheld plasma and/or drill press for the holes

I’m pretty sure I’m oversimplifying and/or misunderstand the need, but this is what’s making sense from my understanding of what is happening…

:+1: Good luck on the project!
Post pics to the #public-relations:show-and-tell thread!

Are you sold on doing the floor plates? You could cut a plate out on the CNC plasma to fit the bolt pattern directly & not need the floor plates. IE weld the pipe to the plate.

Alternatively you could create a plate again on the CNC & then create studs to bolt the floor plates on.

1 Like

Work out what you need and cut it on the Dynatorch. Brazing is soldering but hotter, or welding but colder.

What @TBJK said

You are correct, my thoughts were to make an adapter plate in between that would be welded/bonded to the black iron fitting. That adapter plate would be the same size and have the same bolt holes as the caster. That was my initial thoughts on how to do this.

1. As stupid as it sounds, I hadn’t thought of just using the existing holes on the black iron fitting to bolt to the casters. I’d obviously need to drill those holes into the casters plate. I’m not sure if that would interrupt the wheels or not. I’ll need to check when I get home later.

2. I’d be happy to draw up the plans in a 3d program for the adapter plate but I have not had training on the Plasma cutter and the only class for training is on December 8th… and it’s full so I’d need someone to do that actual cutting for me :sweat_smile:

3. Same reason as number 2, I haven’t had any training on the handheld plasma cutter. I have absolutely no clue how to use it.

1 Like

The reason I’m thinking of doing an adapter plate and welding/bonding it to the black iron floor plate is to have the flexibility to take them off and add normal floor plates in the future if need be.
If I were to weld the adapter plate directly to the pipe then it would be more difficult to swap out in the future.
Also, I was leaning towards cutting out the adapter plate on the plasma CNC but I haven’t had any training on it and it seems the only class (on december 8th) is full so I likely won’t be able to get training anytime soon :sweat_smile: I’m more than happy to draw up the plans in my 3d software for the adapter plate but I’d need someone to cut it out for me :frowning:

1 Like

I’m getting the idea that brazing the adapter plate and the black iron floor fitting together would be the best solution. I was thinking that cutting out the adapter plate on the plasma cnc would be best however I have not had training on it and it seems that the only upcoming class (on December 8th) is full so I likely won’t be able to get training anytime soon :frowning:
I’d be more than happy to draw up the design for the adapter plate in my 3d software but I’d need someone to cut it out for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

cut this in half and weld it to the adaptor plate, you will need two couplings to make 4 feet, bolt the plate to the castor and the half coupling threads to the leg?? round up the parts and I will teach you to Arc weld, if you would like.

2 Likes

My question is what are you using this for? Is it for something that needs to be welded or can you use a 2-part epoxy like JB weld for this.

I ask because if it isn’t for anything critical than JB weld should be able to do the job. If it is for something critical, where people will be using it then going with what @TBJK said would be best. Getting a good weld with cast iron isn’t going to be the easiest thing to do.

So you’re suggesting the same solution I was originally thinking (making an adapter plate that bolts to the casters) but instead of it being welded/bonded to black iron floor fittings, it’ll be welded to these female pipe couplings?

That seems like a fine solution to me! I will absolutely take you up on your offer to teach me to ARC weld, I’ve wanted to learn that! I just need to figure out how to get the adapter plates cut on the plasma cnc… I can create the 3d file in my own 3d software but I have not the required training for that :frowning:

1 Like

These will be the feet to a desktop. The desktop will be supporting a constant weight and I’d like it to be strong enough to support up to about 200lbs, won’t need to do that on a regular basis but I’d like to have that assurance.
That’s the reason I was leaning towards welding them together.

If you really want to learn the use of the plasma table it is a worthwhile endeavor, I would buy a piece of bar stock with a common dimension to the mounting plate of the castor, cut off 4 lengths to match the other dimension and drill 4 holes in each. Have someone in machine shop show you how to use transfer punches to insure the holes line up. I am not real crazy about plasma cut bolt holes, Personal preference, I guess. Holding things off the ground is pretty easy, dealing with a side load can complicate things a bit, just saying.

Let me know when you think you have all your ducks in a row and w can schedule some time for a class and let some other people join if so inclined.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan! :slight_smile: