Welding Cor-Ten steel

Has anyone ever welded corten steel. I am wanting to weld two pieces of flat bar steel as supports to stand onto a piece of corten to use as a wall in my flowerbeds. I was wondering if there is anything special I should know. I am planning on practing my new TIG welding skills on this project.

Tangentialy does anyone kniw a good place to buy a small piece kf Corten steel?

I haven’t found it in Dallas in small quantities yet. I talked to our steel supplier at work and they can order it but shipping and having buy full sheets kinda killed the concept. From what I’ve read with single pass welding there is enough mixing with the filler and base metal so you can use regular mild steel filler.

https://www.alro.com/divsteel/Metals_Gridpt.aspx?gp=0059&gpn=A606%20"Corten"&Mat=CARBON%20STEEL&Type=Sheet

2 Likes

Corten is a trade name of US Steel. ASTM A606 weathering steel is the generic designation.
Local online suppliers advertise it in sizes to 7 Ga.
Use filler metal with a W designation for the best color match.

4 Likes

Which local online suppliers?

Corten is often in stock at a range of thicknesses, I believe both sheet and plate at coremark metals over past Fort Worth. Their cut fees usually aren’t too bad for partial sheets either.

Thanks @TBJK I suck at thumb typing

I do it myself. Lol

Online metals in Grand Prairie and Coremark in Fort Worth both show up.
Also search for ASTM A588, A242, A847, A709- 50W and A871-65

1 Like

No wonder I was confused by the subject line:

Weathering steel, often referred to by the genericised trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes written without the hyphen as corten steel

I’ve seen weathering steel and many variations of Cor-Ten but never as a simple noun without the hyphen.

Thanks I ordered what I needed from Online Metals they had A606. Coremark evidently does not sale to the public or at least that is what the lady on the phone said. :wink: Also Online Metals I could will call it in Grand Prairie. Coremark according to their website had to ship it from out of state which was of course was more expensive.

Thanks for the advice in TIG welding it as well.

Boy that’s interesting. They never had a problem selling to me or anyone else I know. They usually are a great place.

Coremark sells to the public. Call the location direct. Dont talk to corporate

1 Like

She kept asking what district I was in and if I had an account number. I asked if she was in Fort Worth and she said yes. Then I told her I did not have a district or act number and I asked if they sold to the public and her reply was no. It is ok according to their website they had to ship it here, so I saved money and will get my metal quicker through Online Metals. Good to know for the future though.

1 Like

Depending on where you live, Will Call at Online Metals (Thyssen-Krupp) in GP is a lot cheaper than shipping. But not if you have to drive a long ways. I only live a couple miles from it, so for me no brainer. Used to get a lot of the round and bar stock we used for lathe and Bridgeport training the as it was cheaper and convenient.

If you go Will Call since you won;t be paying for shipping could be anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. They ship between centers with each having general then a specialty. GP is Brass, so when they say Alum from X the truck takes brass back to them and others.

1 Like

The piece was cut and ready today within hours of my order. I am picking it up in the morning. The gas to go from Plano to Grand Prairie is much cheaper than the $207 Fed Ex ground shipping shipping charges for a five foot by two foot piece of steel from Minneapolis. Shipping was double the cost of the steel. :wink:

4 Likes

While it doesn’t seem to apply to your use of sheet, be aware that ‘weathering’ steel has to be kept relatively dry otherwise it keeps on weathering right thru: rather infamously two people were killed in the Ft. Worth Water Garden when a big light pole fell on them after someone decided that the rugged industrial look of the recessed bolted base plate needed softening and filled in the recess with dirt and planted flowers which were kept watered. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Worth_Water_Gardens https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article3882273.html & [page NSFW] https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1991-03-23-9103231011-story.html

1 Like

Actually his application sounds quite similar, except for the safety implications.