Welding awesomeness

@FriendlyTitan, @rlisbona and @TBJK how about these?!?

I literally just got back into town about 45 minutes ago and noticed they had started repairs on one of the stairwells in my apartment.

This is who they went with after they rejected my bid because I was “unreliable due to being in and out of town so much”.

Btw…they paid $7500 for this repair

1 Like

Wow thats rediculous! Among the worst welds I’ve ever seen

Send the photo to the City Inspector. Those are unsafe welds.

3 Likes

An authority definitely needs to be contacted. I can’t tell but tbh it kinda looks like they tried to weld metal to concrete. In which case, wtf???

Also, none of that is done properly from the original plan to the execution. Definitely needs to be redone.

Yeah, I haven’t seen welds that bad since I was in shop class when I was 14 years old in high school.

They didn’t even bother trying to remove the paint, just tried to burn through it.

1 Like

The concrete stair forms do have a small metal piece to weld to inserted when they’re made, but they burnt straight through it.

I just went out there with the property manager to have a talk with them about this and the two guys that were out there got pissed off, told the property manager and myself that I had no idea what I was talking about and they were perfectly safe welds.
Then refused to go back and fix them.

So I took pictures of them, their truck and their license plate to give to the city codes inspector for when this thing fails inspection…

That really pissed them off, lol

4 Likes

The property manager is on the hook now, he is aware of an unsafe condition. He needs to have it done properly - not pay those guys if he wants. He is responsible for the upkeep. “I tried” doesn’t count. These wouldn’t even count as tacks let alone welds.

lol…Did they use JBWeld and a blowtorch?

1 Like

Depends who is defining “safe”

3 Likes

Kwality work - with a Kapital “K”.

Yeesh :roll_eyes:

1 Like

As an amateur welder I see so many things wrong with their work. Only way to fix it is to completely redo it. I would not trust my weight on those tack welds. These guys need to find a new line of work where peoples lives and safety are not dependent on the quality of their work. Looks like the early welds I did in industrial tech class in 7th grade when I first welded.

1 Like

Got a minute to go look and see if they finished it right.
I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…

The welding prep is notable. Still say notify city building inspector. There is no way this is acceptable and can pass. I’d guess they’d order them all ground out and redone

I’ve seen welding smut in tight areas, usually grey-white. But black? Looks like a diesel tail pipe.

1 Like

Honestly it looks like stick set WAY to high.

All in all, its still bullshit.

I could have done better with a harbor freight 160/110 flux on a 100ft extension cord…

Those stairs have leopard print. Lol. Usually only looks ok on an actual leopard.

3 Likes

I love the unground corners protruding at what looks to be head height.