Welding aluminum with Millermatic 252?

Is there a spoolgun and proper gas available? I have taken all required classes, but have not welded aluminum yet.

I took the welding classes a few months ago. At the time we had no spool gun. This has been discussed in the past but nobody has pursued it that I know of. @dallasmagna is the chairperson and can weigh in on it.

Has anyone tried to weld with aluminum wire without the spoolgun?

Not personally with our machine. I have welded aluminum with my personal machine. It’s the Hobart 140 just like the one at the space. When you MIG without a spoolgun, you have to be very straight with your MIG gun. If you have to many bends the wire will not run or birdnest on you. Additionally we were missing the small spool adapter, so that would be needed to use a smaller spool. Have you been through the welding class yet? If so you could bring your own small spool then put the original spool back when you are done.

Yes, completed safety and mig courses with Lee. Already did several weld jobs. I was gonna get aluminum wire and try it out. No small spool adopter? There so the machine is a no go for 1-2lb spools?

Someone will have to look for it, last time I couldn’t find it.

Any idea if the smaller Hobart be connected to gas easily and has connectors? Last I looked it was set gas-less for flux-core.

Last I knew, we abandoned trying to use it for MIG because the gas feed did not work properly. So we marked it “Flux core only” and have been using it that way…

1 Like

I can say on my personal machine, I had to replace the gas valve solenoid. Not sure what circumstances are behind the one at the space. I will hopefully be at the space Friday, possibly I can locate the spool adapter.

If I remember correctly (big if) there is a large spool of aluminum wire in the cabinet.
At least it’s not carbon steel wire.

So I started thinking I did not remember correctly. Pretty sure it’s flux core.