Welding 101- Anyone want to teach welding?

There is.
We (well, “we”) teach classes on occasion, but the demand is much higher for TIG/MIG.

There is little reason to use Stick at DMS, with the exception of working outside. We have it, but in general it is the inferior process.

It has a power supply, the problem is that it is less efficient than the inverter unit. This means it can only be run up to approx 120 Amps before the breaker trips. We have a 480v transformer to run proper power to the welding area so the unit can run at full capacity, but it hasn’t been installed yet due to electrical needs related to expansion and other items that need to be resolved first.

-Jim

I’m happy to teach it even it one person shows up, the “suggested donation” is for the group of the class to come up with the $50 I would have made from the honorarium.

I’ll mention it at the end of the metal shop meeting, so I’m sure you won’t be the only one.

The group will also need to agree on either MIG or TIG, and I think there’s a few people wanting MIG already.

1 Like

Inferior process? LMAO. Yea right.

It has its uses for sure. I’m not sure I’d throw the word inferior around, but there are better processes if you want:

• High Speed
  • High Precision
  • Operator comfort
  • Safety - Electrical
  • Safety - Fumes
  • Cost of operation
  • Weld Repeatability
  • Weld Automation
  • Clean Welds
  • Control of Weld Procedure

Stick welding can’t be beat in four areas:

• Welding in high wind and/or rainy environments
  • Welding underwater (with special wax coated rods)
  • Getting started welding for cheap ($200 get’s you a pack of rods and a decent welder)
  • Shelf Life (no gas, rods if stored proper last many years)
4 Likes

Actually, I take that back, you could flux core in high wind, and maybe rain depending on conditions.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in taking a welding class. Last one I saw was full. Not sure if TIG vs MIG. Just wanting basic to fix common metals together.

Have there been aluminum TIG classes recently? ive seen steel, but i haven’t seen aluminum. Unless taking steel TIG is good for aluminum too?

I would practice with steel first before going to aluminum. Mild steel is just cheaper to buy than aluminum as well as being far more forgiving when you are learning how to weld. Once you can put consistently good beads down on steel then I would say you can start with aluminum.

Also aluminum acts differently than steel, this is due to aluminum being able to spread heat through out its body more efficiently than steel. Because of this you shouldn’t do long welds with aluminum but instead do it in sections to allow the heat to spread through the material more evenly.

I have a bit of experience welding steel, im no pro, but i generally burn through and the things ive welded are still welded. i also have a small amount of experience welding aluminum. I guess what i want to know is Do i need to take a class to weld aluminum or if ive taken steel am i ok to play with aluminum? I dont have much aluminum to weld, but i have a project that id like to tackle that involves aluminum welding, and id like to get some practice in.

1 Like

You’re good. The class is for the process and equipment, not the material. Learning either aluminium or steel teaches you to care for the equipment, and establishes base points of reference. Feel free to practice on either after learning either.

2 Likes

Excellent! once the TIG is back maybe ill try not to blast some holes in some aluminum.

1 Like

Yep, what ever you say.

I don’t know what you want from me. I’m not going to make a religion out of welding.

Do you disagree or agree in any way? I’m happy to have discourse.

Great, I’ll be there.

I have to make a Harbor Freight run this afternoon. What basic supplies would you recommend to a newb? I’m thinking maybe it’d be good to at least bring my own gloves & leather apron? Does the shop have enough shade glass for onlookers or is a cheap fixed shade helmet worth getting for now?

Allow me to make a recommendation. Metroplex welding sells tillman products. If you can afford to make the investment I highly recommend a good pair of mig gloves. If you are going to tig and can get tig gloves those are thinner for tig work. This is really the best investment you can make for yourself. Dexterity is paramount!

As for an apron, HF is fine!

Cost on most tillman gloves is less than 30 dollars and will last you a lifetime of hobby welding.

We provide everything you need as far as PPE goes. I’d hold off on purchasing anything until after the class so you may ask questions about what is preferable.

Great! So about 5-ish on Saturday?

show up a little early though; we actually have a Metal Shop Committee meeting from 12-5, so you can learn all about the goings-on in the shop.
Also in terms of getting active at the space, the real power lies in the committees. I can also usually spot train people on things like the large powder coating oven, show you how tools work, etc since we will be cleaning and testing everything anyway.

-Jim

1 Like