Welding 101- Anyone want to teach welding?

Is there anyone that can do a class on welding? Are there others interested in joining a welding 101 class? I have never welded but have a project that will require welding eventually and would love to learn! Thanks.

I see that we just had a class canceled due to maintenance on Feb 16th! Looking forward to another class coming up.

1 Like

right now our smaller TIG is under repair; the large one is trickier and not all instructors know how to run it properly and won’t teach on it.

If you just want to learn the basics I’m sure that between one of the instructors we can get one on the schedule. @Team_Metal_Shop know if anyone has a MIG class coming up perchance?

Cheers,
-Jim

If it’s a rush, I could teach one between 4P and 9P on 3/2, but I’d be taking donations to cover the fact that it’s not an honorarium.

would need to start a little later, unless you want the class to include part of the monthly Metal Shop meeting chores (some of it is welding more shelves for the oven like the one we made recently, and part of the water buffalo).

it isn’t too difficult a welding project and could give some practical experience if they are comfortable giving it a shot.

I can do that.

2 Likes

I’d like to learn so I can teach it

1 Like

The process for that is to take the standard class, then work with one of the instructors (or Jim) and schedule a class for them to sit in on and audit. Once they’ve done that they can either approve you to teach another class on your own, or make recommendations and work on another class for them to audit.

For 3/2, we won’t be doing a standard class, so that won’t qualify for the first part.

If you’re interested let me know and I’ll PM you next time I’m teaching a class for you to attend and take notes on the coursework.

If you are wanting to be able to sign people off on the full welding process you’ll need to do the same thing for the safety class as well.

1 Like

That sounds good. Yes I’m interested.

Id really like to take a TIG aluminum class.

1 Like

What welding technique are you interested in? MIG/TIG/Stick?

I have a TIG class coming up on 09 Mar, just waiting for it to appear on the calendar. I will also have a TIG practice class on 16 Mar. The practice class is for people who haven’t welded in a while or took the TIG class recently and just want more practice time with an instructor.

1 Like

I’d like to start with the basics and move up. So I’ll ask those who are more knowledgeable guide me.

Probable MIG to ease of use, or TIG if you want to be artful and don’t mind a learning curve.

1 Like

Interested in attending as well.

1 Like

I would love to go to the MIG class but It would have to be either 3/5 , 3/6 or 3/8, 3/9, or 3/10. if possible. I work that weekend of the 3/2 unfortunately.

I am doing the Metal shop safety class on 3/4 from 7p to 9p as well.

So is there an informal class this Saturday? What time? Suggested donation?

I had heard the big one was without a power supply in the current shop. Is this, in fact, untrue

I have never specifically looked but I am wondering if there is an arc welder in the DMS metal shop. I have never seen any one burning rods.