Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 8pm - Automotive Town Hall Meeting

In addition to the Committee Meeting, I would like to take a few minutes to field any questions regarding my views on the future of Automotive and my intentions for future developments. I would like to clear the air of any misunderstanding, misrepresentations or other rumors that are currently circulating. ALL are welcome!

Pizza will be served!!!

12 Likes

Can you write down and post what you have been able to accomplish in the past year and what your near term plans are to be sure auto meets the needs of the members?

For instance, with increased floorspace with the expansion how many more engine blocks will you be able to leave sitting in the area? Could probably get up to 8 or more easily.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Some other automotive area questions that would be good to cover

What are your plans for socket and tool organization? These 3d printed socket holders are far past their lifetime and should be thrown away asap, what will replace them? (It was a bad idea on my part to try and print custom abs holders, but they were cheap at the time)

Why is there an old non functional drill press sitting in the auto area? Is it decoration?

Wasn’t it mentioned that you would get rid of and purchase a new parts washer?

What has limited you from being able to accomplish some of your ideas so far?

He worked out a deal out on the current parts washer. It’s now DMS Owned.

6 Likes

That’s good, as a future todo someone should tell the bookkeeper that things changed because it appears we stopped paying for it in August 2017 but there is still a parts washer fund that is accruing $351.81 every month, it has $4,627.15 in it right now

Brandon,

Feel free to come out weds evening for details.

You don’t attend many of the board, member or automotive committee meetings so you were out of the loop when we discussed buying the current parts washer that “someone” had opted to sign an open ended lease for $351.81 per month to eternity. That lease DID NOT include disposal of the waste fluid - no bargain.

Robert Davidson (previous board member) made the payment to “Partsmaster” the folks that leased/sold the parts washer to us. One would have thought that the lease payment would have been discontinued at that time.

5 Likes

I don’t believe that Brandon is saying that the lease is still being paid, but rather that the dollars are still being designated inside of DMS for that express purpose and that they could likely be re-assigned somewhere else.

1 Like

That would be the board of directors in the Feb 2015 meeting https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20150215#Lease_Parts_Washer_.28Bryan_Gangwere.29

So if I attend can you answer about your views of appropriate usage of auto floorspace by extraneous things like extra engine blocks and non functional drill presses?

2 Likes

And even giving some help to the new glass committee
He has been busy helping DMS grow

3 Likes

Does that include sockets?

For organizers we could get 5 or 6 sets of these sets for around $150, could keep the different colors for metric / sae

That also brings up a good topic of effective use of available funds, so far it looks like the largest purchase has just been $7,000 for a tool box (that is an order of magnitude more in cost than a cheap big box store toolbox), but that toolbox appears to be filled with the same harbor freight wrenches, kobalt sockets, and tekton torque wrenches, that were previously in the $600 HD toolbox. Is there a plan to use some of the excess funds auto has built up by not making any purchases recently to start stocking the toolbox with higher end tools?

3 Likes

It appears you are attempting to post off topic defamation of me instead of discussing automotive committee plans which is the topic of this thread, do you have any specific comments on what you think posted here is not appropriate topics for an automotive committee discussion or is your goal just to throw out more vitriol and hate on talk?

I am confused, can you help me understand why you think your comments are on topic and relevant to the future plans of the automotive committee?

1 Like

Thank you for filling me in on what I think, while I appreciate your insight, this thread has been thoroughly derailed, a more relevant discussion would be what high quality tools auto would most benefit from investing in.

We finally agree on something, REALLY hope to see you at the meeting. We both know you won’t be there.

1 Like