Web Developer for DMS Weather

Hey.

We’re looking for a Web developer/designer to redo our interface for the DMS Weather Project. Our current setup is based off of a weewx skin. Please respond to this thread if you are interested.

DMS Weather Page

1 Like

What type of adjustments do you need, reskinning or restructuring? I think it is very interesting except my brain doesn’t do celsius :wink:

1 Like

How much time is this work expected to take?

What language and other skills are needed?

I believe we have the back-end code in python and the front-end HTML/CSS Javascript.

Yes we would like to provide the option of Fahrenheit or Celsius, and download data for specific periods of time. We would like for both redesigning and restructuring. Our concern is that we would like the use to flow through the material without thinking what graph is what or how to use a certain feature.

As far as time, looking for a two month frame to have their first iteration or prototype of what is done.

Skills: HTML/CSS Javascript Python and User Interaction Design

Don’t forget Kelvin! :smiley:

1 Like

This one could benefit from teamplay IMO. National Instruments has some cool web capabilities that are worth exploring here.

While I won’t profess to be an expert on such, I am willing to take some time, make some calls and get DMS the very best support available when it comes to web based data portals and views. Mixed with HTML, javascript and all the rest, I think this one could turn out to be an item that could attract a lot of positive attention for our little space… :wink:

Agreed. If whoever decides to step up and others would like to be involved we could message/meet up and discuss what features would be implemented and get it done within a set time.

Huh?

(could you explain what you mean by this more characters blah blah blah)

Or Rankine. Lol. Takes me back a few years.

1 Like

As a suggestion… Could we perhaps contact one of the major TV Network Meteorologists in the area (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News, etc.), and set up the DMS Weather Station so that they could access the data in the appropriate format. That would be cool to see DMS as an official reporting weather station. Let’s get our name on the map!

3 Likes

I’d be interested in helping, but time is always the issue. I know a little code here and there and Celsius certainly isn’t an issue :slight_smile:

It’s not clear whether they’re using weewx or just the frontend, but that software supports streams

to popular weather sites including WeatherUnderground, PWSweather.com, CWOP, WOW, and AWEKAS and others;

We need someone who knows how to not only implement features but design or place graphs, buttons, pictures etc… in a format that is logical like tellling a story. You wouldn’t want to put the current temperature at the bottom of the page because that’s something everybody is familiar with. Allow the user to digest the given information without them questioning how to.

Yes couldn’t agree with you more! first we need to fix some things before everything is a go. We still need to fix our weather sensor. As some of you might have seen we are not reporting to wunderground at the moment because of inaccurate rain sensor readings.

Expect a post on our Talk Build Log this Thursday for a guideline structure posted on how to help out with this project. The main thing we ask is that you document your work. The goal of this project is that anybody in the space can add their own sensors or even get people together and do a group project with it. Its a complete open source project.

We are currently using weewx on both the front end and backend with python scripts supporting the data calls

I guess I wasn’t explicit in my first post so let me clarify:

We need a person or group of people who would like to redesign our weather page. PM me if you would like to dedicate some time to this project.

Skills

• HTML/CSS
  • Bootstrap
  • Javascript
  • Python

Features

• Download data from a specific time period
  • Toggle readings from Farenheit, Celsius, Kelvin, Rankine
  • Web page that adjust to tablets, phones, desktop, etc…
  • UI/UX knowledge

Duration
2 months

1 Like

I had kicked around at one point building a lightweight JSON/JavaScript engine to pass current conditions and render it on demand live, but that sounds like something different than you want (also I am not a web UI/UX designer).

BTW, what is up with “Inside Temperature” going down to 5C?

You don’t have to all the qualities your background in JSON/Javascript would be good for us we just have to hunt for others who have the other skills.

The inside temperature is the temperature inside the weather proof box. Based on the graphs it’s proportional to the outside temperature, whenever the temperature outside rises/falls the inside temperature will do the same. The sensor board’s temperature is measuring to be 41F(5C) while the outside temperature is 46F(8C).

Again we are looking for more people interested in this project. We are going to redesign DMS weather page so it can be useful to others like downloading data. We are running weewx on the raspberry pi 3. What it does is generate reports every 5 minutes and dress it up in a skin like you see here.
Weewx github wiki

DMS Weather github

Skills

• HTML/CSS
  • Bootstrap
  • Javascript
  • Python

Features

• Download data from a specific time period
  • Toggle readings from Farenheit, Celsius, Kelvin, Rankine
  • Web page that adjust to tablets, phones, desktop, etc…
  • UI/UX knowledge

Duration
2 months

Seems when speaking of logging regular data and graphing on html page, labview is well worth considering. Would be very straightforward to load data from pi over usb or wifi to dedicated system or server running a labview .exe that would do the logging of data. And I know the tool is capable of dynamically creating webpages, particularly graph style pages. The cool part is, I think that the graph pages labview generates are interactive, so id imagine with a single portal a user could login, then dial in date ranges amd select data of interest.

And while I’ve not done this in labview (html generation) before, I know it’s possible and expect tye problem will have ample documentation showing the instructions and outs of such (thx, ni!)

Worth considering?

I’m doing student requests in this Thursday nights labview class. Plz give a heads up if rep for this project plans to check things out…if there is some interest, so I can be prepped for this one…

1 Like