Web API endpoints for the space [Ideas]

Idea
I think it would be interesting to define new API endpoints supported by DMS infrastructure that allows members (or registered non-members) to interface with the space.

This thread is about proposing API endpoints and possibly building a solid/useful specification for describing or interacting with any given Makerspace. Included in this discussion are considerations for backend persistence/management of state. For example, outlining sort of operations that need to be supported by a backend.

What goes in this thread,and what deserves new threads
Talk threads are messy and disorganized. Our membership has a bad habit of going off topic to the extent that no ideas presented on here are well developed. They’re typically either criticized(turns discussions into flame wars) or derailed(focus on new things for a short period of time. eventually even those new things are derailed).
To that end I would like to get people to adhere to the topic.

New threads house things that are functionally, or conceptually decoupled from the main point. An example in this case would be:

• The philosophical discussion about whether this is a good or bad idea probably deserves a separate thread.
  • Reactions to proposed ideas probably deserve another thread as well. This thread is about generating/mining ideas, not refining them.
  • Organizing the development and open source structure,
  • Getting approval from board members, committees, general membership, integrating with the current space
  • Spreading this or interacting with other makerspaces
  • Technical details.

Submission Example
Here is an example of a high level description of a feature/request that can be made to an API. Notice that it doesn’t use any conventional notation. It focuses on high level meaning:

Input:
<rfid number>

Output:
<first name><last name>

Backend support needed:
Retrieve a subset of membership data. No Immediate need to persist state.

Purpose:
Identify owner of lost wallet/keychain without having to consult a stan (a figure that resembles either a Supervisor, Tour-giver, Administrator, Nice-guy/gal). Can also allow :

• integration with tool usage queues(adding removing people).
  • space related projects that utilize RFID.
  • Increase member contributions/engagement with the space without bottle-necking around infrastructure

There already are a couple of API’s that return information from RFID’s in JSON format.

This one only works within the DMS network:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/RFID_Member_Info_Portal#Software_3

The API will eventually be protected with keys, but is currently open to make testing easy.

I hope it didn’t come across as me asking the space to support this, or claiming that the space doesnt support this. I’d like to get self contained ideas. Kind of like an open ended requirements gathering.Some people may not have the confidence to edit someone else’s wiki page. My hope is that discussion would happen faster through a talk thread.

I’ve opened up a separate thread about what endpoints exist at the space:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/web-api-endpoints-for-the-space-dms-integration