Web and mobile app programming?

I have an app I’d like to make. Mostly for the web to be available on my website, but possibly mobile too. Main function is to take some user inputs, do some basic math, and then return some results from a table.

It’s been a while since I’ve done anything like this, and the last time I did it was with php, which seems as though it has fallen out of favor. My skills are not robust, and certainly rusty.

I’m curious what people are using for something like this these days?

I think a lot of it is cyclical, PHP 7 is out now so that may be making a resurgence.

If it were my project to do, I’d probably build some sort of simple REST API to feed the website and the app, you could use PHP but node.js is pretty cool for simple APIs see restify, and/or express. I have a weird love for node.js. Would be pretty simple to use an ajax call (JQuery maybe) to do the lookup from your API for the website and REST facilities of IOS/Android to grab for the app, assuming you care about not having your data (tables) live on the device. Lots of languages have pretty nice REST service frameworks, so really a matter of preference.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like you’re saving the data to a DB so you could probably do it all in the browser using javascript. You could use react to make it easier. I use EmberJs in my day job, and its great, but it shines on large/ambitious apps. I agree with Karl that if you do need to save the data to a DB then use a RESTFUL api. I’ve been doing node.js with the express framework and really like it.

2 Likes

The data might need to come from a database, or maybe a library or API of some sort. Time zones.

there’s a js library called moment with an addon called moment-timezones - it might have all the data you need

1 Like