We need someone interested in helping us make 3d models of our designs

We will need to make models of the following:
Our designs are for “Housing Projects”.

We need to be able to show others what our designs look like and believe doing so in miniature will be a clear way of accomplishing that.

We’ll furnish scale drawings of the designs/parts …that can be used in CAD files to be created; for what we desire 3d printed.

We’re willing to negotiate payment for this service and anticipate a continuing need for this service.

We’d appreciate any responses by those capable of and interested in helping us.

Have you thought about laser-cut scale models? They could be cut from thin plywood or matte board. It would probably be a lot faster to laser cut and assemble than to 3d print.

Hi Cary,

Thanks for your reply…

What you suggest is a very good approach to making our larger scale
models, which we’ll also be needing.

However, at present, we’re most interested in making models that are in
the range of 8" X 8" X 20" … a relatively small scale…and we also
want to attempt to print out the furnishings inside them…

These are very small homes we’re attempting to illustrate. Yet, even
though they’re so small, they’re visually and functionally desirable…“A
cool pad to live in”
But to be convinced of that, a person being introduced to them, has to be
able to get the full “three dimensional” picture, to be able to visualize
living in them.
Three dimensional representations are much more effective than brochures
or videos, which we will also have to show prospective clients.

That’s a really large print. Its going to take a pretty long time for each model.

I tried this idea when my girlfriend had to make a model of a house while she was in design school. We ended up using the pin&foam board method instead of printing.

Are you scaling them to say some common sized doll/action hero, e.g. G.I. Joe - so you can see the raltive size of a person standing in it or are you going to create models of people of say different heights?

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, we’re scaling the models to 1" = 1’-0" (a common doll size, so that
we can use ready made people with them)…for the same reason you suggest;
to show the relative size of everything in the house relative to
humans…so “they get the picture” of what we’re attempting to illustrate.

Hi Pearce,

Thanks for your reply,

Here’s our problem:

We need them for sales tools…and so we’ll need numbers of them…it
would be prohibitively expensive to injection mold the parts…so even
though they might take all night to print…we’d like them to be of
plastic.
That doesn’t mean we aren’t open to other
suggestions/approaches…that’s just our present thinking that to make
multiple models at a reasonable cost…at least to start with.

So, do you still think making them in 3d printing would be the least
desirable approach…or might there be a combination of ways to make them
(laser cutting plastic parts, etc) that might work better? Balsa would
be too fragile for our purpose…since they would be handled/transported a
lot for demonstration purposes…

However, your experience making the model for your girlfriend, is a good
education about what we’ll be needing…it would seem.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Zachary Workman [email protected]
wrote:

I think maybe a combo of the two. Laser cut the larger walls and then print out stuff like furniture, fireplaces, etc.

That will reduce your time drastically.

2 Likes

You reveal your generation. The modern equivalent of “to scale human” is…
https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+man&tbm=isch

:grin:

Pearce has a good suggestion. Definitely laser cut the walls, and then print out selective stuff like some of the furniture . You can even laser cut a lot of the furniture.

I note that you are planning to use 1:12 scale. Unless you are modeling “tiny houses”, that scale is going to be prohibitively large for what you’re describing. (I know this because I’m a miniature artisan and I work primarily in 1:12 scale.) A couch, for instance would be a rectangular solid roughly 3" high x 3.5" deep x 7" long; and it’s going to have “layers” that you will want to sand or soak/fume to remove. That’s a pretty big piece to print - and even with a sparse infill it will have a non-trivial weight that will have to be secured inside your model to prevent it from smashing things.

Chris
2 Likes

Hey, I grew up on COMBAT! Today we’d be politically incorrect “Playing Army” … we had more weapons than ISIS.

Of course we’d Ivanhoe it also: Trash can lids for shields - wooden swords, bath towel capes held with clothes pins, riding our trusty Sting Ray Destriers … you’d stick you sword in their front spokes as they passed and unhorse them as they flipped over. Ahhh the good old days.

Not a helicopter mom to be seen, if your friends could drag home and leave you on the stoop, the worse was dad was going to chew you out for getting suckered punched like that.

5 Likes

Bump
Did you find someone to help you print?
Sounds like you need a micro model. If you step up to a larger one, unless you are doing an integrated design where the furniture is attached (ie:RV) or you’re selling the furniture too, there might be a better solution then printing or lasering all the furnishings. They won’t look very good compared to what you can buy for cheap. Survey the various doll house scale model sizes and match your model size to one of them. You will have alot of variety and more accessories then you could ever print to choose from or to have laying out for the show-goer or customer to play with. All the alternative-housing markets are still fundamentally pinned to the underlying psychology of marketing. The look and feel of it has to make make the buying masses feel good about their own identity and they have to get sufficiently attached to the idea to overcome the emotional cost of the pricetag/transition. It has little to do with actual economics or utility or practicality. Thats why we are stuck with these goofy pitched roofs, that are just getting more insanely pitched literally killing the poor roofers, despite that it doesn’t snow here, because that is what the masses consider socially acceptable.

I can do the models and printing for you. Drop me a DM.
-Travis

Hey Jesus,

We would love to set up a meeting with you sometime this week, let us know when is a good time for you, we are very flexible, we can even meet after business hours if you would like. 

thanks for your interest!

Zach 405-474-8131

Travis,

We would also love to set up a meeting with you sometime, let us know when is a good time for you, we are very flexible, we can even meet after business hours if you would like. 

thanks for your interest!

Zach 405-474-8131

Hey Zach,

Are you still needing help? Can you give me some more details about the gig?

I can provide 3D modeling and 3D printing services as required.

Travis