WAZER Units are Shipping this Month

WAZER desktop waterjets are supposedly shipping this month. Discounted below 5k. :sunglasses:

I know I want one. Hope these guys are successful! Nice step forward for real time, local fabrication opportunities.

Some of the first few steps in the long run to cut out China and bring on-demand local making to America.

What would America be like if we didnā€™t outsource all our fabrication to China and kept that locally? This reality IMO, is the real specialnous of the Maker movement.

1 Like

Still made in China

Which likely means the nWazer (notWazer) will be coming to us soon from Dongguan for only $2588ā€¦

2 Likes

This is IMHO why it is so very exciting and amazing to be a part of the Maker Movement. I see young children with the desire to design and create but the inability to actually build it. Inventions like WAZER are what can quite literally change the landscape of manufacturing in the US.

1 Like

Having some experience with waterjets now. The Wazer is impressive if it really works as they say. Two things 1.) Garnet used to cut hard things is expensive, look at their estimated costs. 2.)It uses quite a bit of water and electricity to run, itā€™s a large hydraulic pump.

That said we didnā€™t back this when it was on kickstarter because the space doesnā€™t back vaporware or pre-order stuff. Iā€™d like to see real world reviews before we buy one but I really really want one. Two words: carbon fiber

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what is nice about this little waterjet, it can cut a lot of different material.

Iā€™m hoping they are successful. Iā€™d really like to get one personally.

The cost can be easily justified in my world. The only concern would be the cost of maintenance to production.

If you mean production as in cutting a lot of parts, I doubt it will meet that need. It could be a robust personal machine, but having worked around industrial waterjets - they are high maintenance, consume pallets of garnet and nozzles, and pumps being very high pressure are also high maintenance.
But for what they are good at, at an industrial scale, can justify cost in reduced machining or eliminating heat affected zones.

They are really cool tools, so beyond maintenance is consumables, hereā€™s what they list, it is 1-2X the laser in just media costs based on 60 minutes of run time. If it runs just 2 hours (a low estimate Iā€™d guess) a day there is over a half ton (1,200 pounds, not wet) of media to dispose of plus storing what is needed.

It really would be a neat tool, but Iā€™d wait a year before thinking of buying one of these to see what its operating costs are beyond media. What is the warranty on the pump? What is projected nozzle life and costs.

It is an amazing low price point.

3 Likes

Add-On comment:

Looking over more of their material, it is an open water circuit: constant water in and water out. So couldnā€™t even be used unless outside in hall from CA.

Iā€™d have to look at how the water flow and operation is needed to be maximally effective. But creating a water flow in access drop is easy and if out flow is pumped, the flow out is easily solved that way too.

For sure, being on the front end usually costs more, but then you are leading the pack. (Never regretted spending and losing some money for an opportunity, some that panned out most didnā€™t, but the ones that did, were very profitable).

So It all depends on how much risk a person is willing to accept.

If real world use seems effective, 6 months is all I need.

Iā€™ll be keeping tuned to this now.

1 Like

For personal use, you decide risk. At the Space, anything that uses water is a problem. Would be great for next Space as Iā€™m sure water will be a big consideration.

1 Like

Have you seen the cutting speeds? Itā€™s incredibly slow. I was impressed with the idea but after reading the specifications Iā€™m out.

I havenā€™t, but Iā€™m more Interested in it for prototyping production for refining design. Though I would like it to be robust. If it can be used 8-10 hrs a day without it breaking down every month, then it would be a success for me. Even if it only lasts a year or 2.

I have a philosophy that tools should be run at maximum efficiency until they are used up and then refurbished or discarded. See itā€™s all about production. As long as production is high then the tool is expendable.

So,as long as I can get a good ROI out of it, I donā€™t really care.

Plus, I understand that the first model will not be perfected, but Iā€™m thinking it could be a helluva lot of fun!

Who knows right now, but Iā€™m leaning in on this one.

Could probably work out a recirculating system with a few ā€œsettling tanksā€ and filters. It would likely require some very big tanks.

Next summerā€™s ā€œeverybody is making someā€ project - carbon fiber fidget spinners!