Wax Pattern Sculpting

I have some wax patterns that I need to modify. Do we have any micro-fine sculpting tools available? Any specific training required to use the Jewelry lab?

Do we have any machinable wax I can purchase ( I need 1/4 inch square shape no more than 3-4 inches long. I will machine the needed shape on the Sherline.

BTW, any recommendation on cleaning wax prior to casting?

I am open to visitors (informal) machining class on Sherline.

These patterns will be cast in brass (not at DMS).

Paging @nausser915 @MossAgate @AnneGullett @Terrence

One of them should know

We do have some general tools for working with wax including dental picks, wax files and rasps, some bits suitable to use on the Foredom tool, and wax pens. Wax is very good for shaping and mistakes can be repaired by ‘welding’ new wax in and shaping it as required. One thing I mention to students is that melting and remelting wax several times sometimes makes it harder to work, so be careful about doing this too much.

We do have several pieces of jeweler’s wax in boxes in the tool bench. If you use some please make a donation to Jewelry/Small Metals to cover replacing the wax as a consumable.

There is a jewelry general tools class, but it isn’t required to use hand tools or the wax working equipment. I believe you need to go to the class to use the Foredom.

I usually clean wax prior to casting by blowing it with compressed air or using a soft brush. A brush isn’t ideal, as wax is a non-conductor and will build static electricity, then dust or wax particles will adhere to it and be hard to dislodge. You can also rinse it with water, but dry it thoroughly (air dry) before getting it ready to cast, only because small droplets of water might interfere with the surface or cause the investment to have bubbles in it.

2 Likes

If it’s a job that you’ll be running often there is a wax injector and there should still be a vulcanizer that I have on loan at the space. Lol can’t remember if they decided to make either training required or not

Both are training required. Most of the non hand tools in JSM are now training required due to a lot of misuse and breakage issues in the past.

1 Like