Was the fried Variac in electronics ever replaced?

I need to characterize some surplus toroids so I can roll my own transformer.
To do this I plan to wind a 5 turn primary and a five turn secondary and drive it with a buffered output from a function generator. Push it till it saturates and graph, rinse and repeat.

There used to be a 450VA variac in the electronics lab that some knowledge challenged individual fried, and the committee did not have enough money to replace. Was that ever replaced?
Thanks
Steve

And while I am thinking about it, is there any interest in a class in transformer winding?
This is usually something that is so labor intensive, that people avoid it unless they need drama levels of voltage or power.

I’d definitely be interested in a transformer wiring class or motor winding class. My particular interest however would be a ‘transformer’ such that one winding is inside the other winding and that the inner windings coupling to the out winding can be varied simply by pushing / pulling the inner winding in / out of the outer winding. Essentially a variable inductor with isolation.

Come to think of it, I have a need for solenoids, too.

I’d take such a class.

Yes, I believe Art told me someone repaired the variac. However, if that turns out to not be the case, let me know and I can loan you one.

Yes, it was repaired. The switch gave out saving the coils. @dr_cee Chuck Baber replaced the switch and all is good. We have other variacs in the ELab - bare bones and I think lower current rating. I have one at home rated 20-25 A if needed.

We also have APT VariPlus 105 variable AC pwr sply 50/60 hz
@wandrson and I used it to do this:

Edit - FYI it’s located here:

2 Likes