Warming stations

Some people have had no power for 14+ hours, and houses are getting dangerously cold.

I know the Kay Bailey Hutchison center has been opened as a warming station. Any others?

3 Likes

“Carrollton Opens Warming Center and Overnight Shelter at Newman Smith High School | Latest City News | City of Carrollton, TX” https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/Home/Components/News/News/4055/27?backlist=%2Fdepartments%2Fdepartments-a-f%2Ffire

3 Likes

Carrollton will also shelter pets at their animal shelter on sandy lake road if you have pets you need to keep warm as well.

5 Likes

Idling a car outdoors with the heat on is a great and safe way to get warm and not have to travel anywhere on dangerous roads to do it. My power has been off for roughly 21 of the last 24 hours and I’ve used my vehicle to get warmed up a few times. If you do end up driving somewhere be very careful. The roads are very dangerous right now. Note the red stop light reflecting off of the ice (a few hours ago a few miles from the space on a main road). Even if you know how to drive on snow and ice that doesn’t mean the people around you do.

6 Likes

Here is a more comprehensive list if anyone needs it:
“North Texas Cities Open Warming Centers as Millions of Texans Face Bitterly Cold Night Without Electricity – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth” https://www-nbcdfw-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/north-texas-cities-open-warming-centers-as-millions-of-texans-face-bitterly-cold-night-without-electricity/2552659/?amp=&amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%1%24s&aoh=16134794396792&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcdfw.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fnorth-texas-cities-open-warming-centers-as-millions-of-texans-face-bitterly-cold-night-without-electricity%2F2552659%2F

3 Likes

Just be careful not to run out of gas because it can be tough to get more right now with power out at the pumps

1 Like

With a full tank most cars can idle for 2-3 days continuously. That’s a good point though. If there’s no power then the gas pumps don’t work. If there’s no trucks running then the station tanks are empty. It’s all a tradeoff.

Got a sleeping bag - as in camp out in the cold?
Dig it out. Open it up and use as a blanket.

1 Like

got mine ready.

TRUTH… This damn yankee knows how… but Robin and I went up to check on our parents this morning on the north side of Denton. People were flying down the roads like they were clear and blowing through intersections where the lights were out. Pure insanity.

We stopped at Lillian Miller and Teasley in Denton at the red light and some bozo in a silver Nissan SUV locked his brakes up and had his wheels cranked hard right as he was sliding right for us. He stopped maybe four feet shy of hitting us. I didn’t care. We were in the F-250 4x4 with the solid steel Ranch Hand bumper. It would’ve hurt him far more than it would us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, we stopped this morning at Buc-ees in Denton just to find plastic bags over all the pump handles.

Depends on where you are. The RaceTrak on Luna to the west of DMS has had power every time we’ve driven by. Still had gas today. No large coffee cups, no hot chocolate, and no pizza, but they did have gasoline!

The one on FM407 on the Flower Mound / Highland Village border had gas, but no sandwiches or other freshies. The truck hasn’t been able to stop by yet because of the weather.

1 Like

First Baptist Church of Richardson is open tonight in their activities center with permission from the city. My family and our dogs are safe there tonight, no power in sight yet for me in Garland

1 Like

A lot of people in my area don’t have vehicles or ability to get to the warming stations, so I spent some time at different places that were open showing people how to make alcohol heaters, use chafing fuel and clay pots, 3 wick candles and clay pots and layer over blankets to keep their families warm enough to survive.
I even taught a few how to cook safely over an open flame so they could feed themselves and their families.

4 Likes

Please share how!!!

1 Like

Sounds like a home brew version of Sterno (?) cans. Purple gel fuel. The type used to keep food trays hot in buffet lines.

Pretty much, yeah.

Thanks!!!

1 Like