War radio equipment

Anyone have any interest or can give me an idea of what to do with this? Was in my dads stuff when he died.

Photos and models would be nice.

What era was your dad in the service? That helps track down the specific model(s).

I thought i attached the images. Sorry. This might actually be helpful…

1 Like

Looks like a Radio Direction Finder of some sort.

I can’t read the data plate in the photo, so hard to tell more than that.

It appears to be a radio direction finding receiver. The idea being that you can tune to a signal (under 3MHz apparently, and likely has to be fairly strong with such a small pair of loops) and determine what angle the signal is approaching from. Do this from two locations, and you can figure out where the recon signal, spy transmission, or other radio source is coming from.

Very cool piece of history, here is a manual for it! It is part of a larger setup.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nj7p.info/Manuals/PDFs/Military/TM%2011-246B%204-Mar-44%20Scribd.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjp56-7oZXkAhVP-6wKHRmjBjUQFjAKegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2aczdGGBmYBqy-9UnJUdfI&cshid=1566435188993

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Anyone know of a market for that kind of thing? Dont have much use myself. Otherthan a strange prop.
Someone asked what it was, I told them i was ghost hunting… :laughing:

The data plate says it’s a BC-973-B receiver.

RadioNerds says it’s a tube-based direction finding receiver, that seems to be WWII era:

I see one discussion thread where someone saw one at an antique store with a $175 tag and indications that the price was soft. He was asking if he should buy it, and nobody seemed excited. So I’m not sure how much market there is. I don’t find any matches on fleabay. There are a couple of auction houses that claim to have sold them, but they won’t say how much without creating an account.

1 Like

Strip the paint, copper or brass plate it, put an Arduino inside with a synthesizer that makes Dr. Who like noises, some el-wire around the antenea loops and … uber Steam Punkish!

NO NO NO.

Build junk props from stuff that does not matter.

So how much do you want? I’m interested.

2 Likes

Looks like the market is yours. Make me an offer worth pulling it out of storage

Someone mentioned $175. Will you take that?

Sure I can do that. Just let me know when you’d like to meet up there

Ok. I’m pretty open and almost any time works. Let me just throw out 7:00 Tuesday (tomorrow) night?

Take a look whenever you’d like. :smiley: