Wanted: Powder Coat Oven and Gun Tutorial

Would like to learn to use the powder coat gun to use this technique. No oven needed.

3 Likes

Ditto. Iā€™m definitely interested in powder coating classā€¦ Already toying around with some graphics for the faceplates.

1 Like

Re-re-re-bump out of curiosity

1 Like

I believe we have a good Eastwood gun, and a working small oven.

The large oven has been a project for a few years. After the last Board meeting, I asked @dallasmagna about purchasing a new oven. These are plentiful on ebay and seem to be of high quality. Chuck was agreeable to the idea.

@dallasmagna What can we do to make this happen?

5 Likes

Metal shop now has a large kiln appropriate for powder coating.

@Kriskat30
@Paul_Mai

3 Likes

I would be interested in learning how to powder coat copper for jewelry

1 Like

Shares the plug with the plasmacam for now, so shouldnā€™t matter

John, I see that lots of people (including me) are interested in a class - and I know that you very graciously put together classes on a wide variety of things. Are you willing to teach a class on this? (or anybody else?)

4 Likes

Please, please and more

1 Like

Zach it stays super cool on the outside. Itā€™ll find a permanent home soon.

Iā€™ll vouch for minimal interference with the last PlasmaCAM class, when it was being used/tested by Chris W. Donā€™t get me wrong, another 2-5 feet or more between them would be wonderful, because you can never really have too much room to work, but it honestly wasnā€™t a problem. I have no idea regarding the internal temps being used then, but external heat emissions went unnoticed.

1 Like

Sounds like there has been a lot of progress on this. I am new to the space and look forward to seeing the kiln in action.

1 Like

Paul Mai is going to put together classes.

6 Likes

In the metal shop meeting last night we were thinking about putting it near the welding area. We have two plugs of the same type for the welders, when you really only need one of them.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s the eventual goal, but right now if someone is fusing glass in this machine, it takes the plasmacam down entirely for 12 hours. Plus now I can weld cast iron :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interested in this as well.

1 Like

Is this oven big enough to powder coat something like a table leg?

Depends on the leg.

The kiln is 20"*29" wide, 22ā€ deep.
You will need something to support it, plus a pan to catch any powder that falls.

Thanks. So the absolute limit on length is the square root of 20 * 20 + 29 * 29 + 22 * 22, 41.5"

Can an uncoated portion lean against the walls or will that damage the insulation?

1 Like

A kiln is a bit overkillā€¦ Powder coat only needs 400 degreesā€¦ Pizza baking temperature. A standard electric oven (NO GAS) is adequate for things about the size of a tire rim. Even a dedicated toaster oven would suffice for small parts. That being said, once used the oven is contaminated and should never be used for food. There is some contaminate so not sure if a kiln would be affected since it uses much higher temperatures. Iā€™ve built an oven capable of fitting an entire bicycle frame and have had great success. Anyway, back to the pointā€¦ Iā€™m not sure you should use a kilnā€¦ someone with more experience in kilns should chime in.