Wanna learn to make a video game?

I’m teaching a virtual class on making a video game in Unreal Engine. Go check it out. If this fills up I will list another one for a week or so later.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16375

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with Unreal Engine from the programmer’s standpoint.

Is it self contained, or is this a call it from another language sort of thing ?

If so, what language will you be using ?

Unreal engine uses a visual scripting language called blueprints as well as C++

1 Like

you can use C++ or “blueprints”, which is a node-based visual scripting language. Obviously C++ will be faster, but what I see most people do is use C++ to create core functionality, make a blueprint node out of the C++, and hand the node off to the designers to play around with it.

2 Likes

Yup, that is the suggested workflow between programmers and designers. It is quite nice in a sense because it makes it easy to create custom code that just works for designers. Trying to code exclusively in nodes is bound to turn to spaghetti real fast

1 Like

Alright since this seems pretty popular I added another class for the following tuesday the 9th

Would the Unreal engine be useful for visualizing real-world situations? Thinking of mining, oil/gas drilling, etc.

Yes, but you would want to make your models outside of unreal. Industry modeling softwares are autodesk maya, maxon cinema 4d, sidefx houdini (not recommended for beginners), and blender. Blender is popular since it’s free and pretty good now.
If you’re looking for photorealism, visualizing real-world situations, a lot of the industry is moving to quixel megascans assets, which might jumpstart your project if you’re willing to pay. There’s also direct integration with UE4, blender, photoshop, etc, it’s pretty nice.

1 Like

Yes it could definitely

1 Like