Voter Registration Day?

Hey y’all,
@Heather_Williamee and I were having a discussion this morning with a deputized voter registrar for Dallas County about setting a date to get everyone registered to vote that hasn’t already done so. She also knows registrars for Denton and Tarrant county, so if there are any people in those counties we can hopefully get them out as well.
So, with all of that being said, is there any interest? Not including this upcoming weekend (1/20-1/21), there are two weekends left before the February 5th deadline.
Let’s hash out some details ^.^"

4 Likes

Would this be an event at the DMS location or a field trip?

At one time I was a deputized voter registrar. I have found it much easier to set out mail in registration forms in which the prospective voter fills out a postage paid self addressed form, signs it and mails it in. By their signature, they swear that the information they provide is correct. The election registrar reviews it and if they assess that the person meets the qualifications they send them a voter registration card. No deputized voter registrar needed.

This process takes about 30 days so it is too late for the February 5th deadline, but it would provide a way to get voters registered for future elections. You can pick these forms up at the Dallas County Elections Office on the 8th floor of the Health and Human Services Building 2377 N. Stemmons Frwy, Suite 820 Dallas TX, 75207. Or I can bring you some forms if you tell me where I can drop them off. They say that if they get the form from an address out of Dallas county, they forward it to the appropriate county registrar.

You can post the forms in a literature holder on a DMS bulletin board (with DMS approval) so DMS persons and visitors can have continuous opportunity to register to vote.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/759194/Office-Depot-Brand-Single-Pocket-Plastic/

1 Like

@ANDREW_MACHA you are mistaken about the cut off. Both the mail-in and sworn forms are subject to the 30 day cut off before an election and require processing. The 30 day processing gives you an estimate on when you should receive your voter registration card. A Deputy Voter Registrar’s delivery to the election office functions effectively like the post-mark date for the registration deadline, which is February 5th.

The advantage of having a deputy voter registrar take in your form is that you will get it done and have greater assurance that it will get to the election office. I would like to come in and help people get registered mostly as a civic duty and to make sure people have accurate information about election and times. Additionally, I am in contact with deputy voter registrars for Tarrant and Denton county so they could provide specific election information for those counties.

I would be happy to come in next Saturday on the 27th if there is space available and I can also leave the mail-in forms to allow a continuous opportunity to register.

3 Likes

Do we really think we have many unregistered potential voters @ DMS?

If I put it on the calendar for next Saturday, what times work best for you?

I could do 1-4pm. I don’t need much to set up. I can bring my own pens set up in the waiting area if space is a premium.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5033
Event is live!
Bring a friend that’s never voted!
Parents bring your 18 year olds!
Thank you to @Melissa_L for volunteering your time and @Adam_Oas for the hella cool posters! ^.^"

1 Like

This is a great idea Ashley! Thank you for setting it all up. <3

2 Likes