Volunteer Spreadsheet/Email List?

So I’m starting to notice a running theme: something gets suggested only to be kinda-sorta shut down because it would require volunteers.

I for one, would love to volunteer my time and skills to improving the space, but right now I struggle to do so.

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in creating a spreadsheet where people who want to volunteer in general can add themselves, their skillset, contact info/Talk handle, etc.

My thoughts are, if the DMS needs volunteers for something, we could then reach out to people on that list who have relevant skills to see if they can schedule some time to work that. I’ve seen the idea of mentorships in woodshop, and people could list themselves as willing to mentor for various things so newbies know some people they could ask directly who might be willing to work with them one-on-one.

Or maybe an email list for when something comes up that needs volunteer help? Especially for things like clean up days that may not need specific skillsets, just time.

Anyways, just a thought. Let me know what you think.

2 Likes

Tagging @patrickpleez1 as our Volunteer Coordinator

2 Likes

Thank you!

Just tossing out there the #volunteer-ops category can be leveraged for…whatever it might prove useful…

1 Like

Did we open that up a bit? Back when it started, there was some comment that only committee chairs could start posts there…

1 Like

Still true, as far as I know. And it is used on occasion, but could be used more, and seems to fit in with this thread, I thought…

2 Likes

Honestly I wasn’t even aware of it lol. It would be great to incorporate it/improve it’s use.

1 Like

Thanks for volunteering to help!

You should go to the Member Access-Green Dot category, create a new topic, and request access. While you would be able to see Volunteer opportunities, there are a bunch of categories you can’t see unless you’re a member.

2 Likes