Volunteer Opportunity - Machine Maintenance - 5 Minute Task

It’s not that it has to lead to issues, it’s that at the makerspace it easily could. I have no issue using sandpaper on tools at home, but I’d be worried that someone would mimic me without understanding if I did it at DMS.

1 Like

I took care of cleaning the lathe beds (powermatic, oneway and the two Jets that are in service today. The Powermatic was REALLY BAD. When I arrived at 9am this morning someone left some type of glue all over it. The banjo wouldn;t move. All better now.

I don’t know how long the cleaning will last, The wood shop was very hot and humid today.

2 Likes

Sultry.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Dan!

That would be great. I won’t be there to see it unfortunately.

Automotive ceramic hydrophobic coating is unparalleled, I have some I use on my car and any metal surface, makes it slick and last forever and water can’t get anywhere near it, I’ll bring it in and rub it on next time i come in

Thanks Chris.

I know that some materials like the auto coatings can be quite long lasting / semi-permanent.

I’d like to make sure that’s what the committee actually wants to do before we walk down that path.

For now, let’s stick with scotchbrite and oil/ paste wax.

It would be nice to have a long term maintenance action plan setup by the committee for each of these machines that includes discussion on these more exotic coatings. Maybe we can talk about that in a future meeting.

1 Like

The problem with paste wax is it’s a wax dissolved in a solvent, which eats away and dissolves the factory protective coating Which is why it seems once you have to apply it you seem to have to do it more regularly, and grim, sap build up becomes more and more regular, because once that wax is gone the solvents eaten anything that seals the metal with hydrophobic coatings you’re simply sealing over whatever lies underneath, so paste was is like cleaning a cut with steel wool and putting a band aid on top, yea it technically counts as first aid, but there’s a error in the steps that’s causing harm, but for now we’ll paste wax it up,l

1 Like

Chris, it may be a good idea. I had this stuff put on my car. I never thought about it for cast iron. My only concern, possibly out of ignorance, is that unlike wax, baby powder, CRC, etc., the ceramic treatment it is so long term permanent. I’ll go poking around internet myself, but is there any documentation or literature, i.e. not anecdotal experience, that you are aware of that supports using it for these types of tools?

So the stuff I use mothers ceramic actually has a sister product that I use prior called prep spray which basically removes any coating or wax to allow better adhesion, I wasn’t talking about the legit real ceramic coatings cause yes those are on there once applied but this is just a spray on ceramic coating but no I don’t know of any literature on using auto for tools

Is it certain not to rub off on the wood run through the machines? If any does rub off, will it affect the ability to finish the wood?

No, so it’s not actually a coating but a substance that bonds with the surface molecularly which is why it’s so durable and long lasting cause it’s not actually on the surface it temporarily fuses to the surface( how strong it fuses is based on quality)

I’ll be in at 10:30 or so today, is there anything left that needs service?

Use a fine grit scotchbrite pad, then once rust is gone follow up with fine talcum powder. I’ll leave it to google to explain why talc uis best, but we used it for several years - no rust, and nice slidey decks.

1 Like

That’s what I normally use, but talc absorbs moister from the air, accumulating the thing you try to keep away for rust, but as far as for smooth glide it’s unparalleled I use it every time on the jointer that’s why I always have white powder on me at the space haha

@prl2018 left some oil and fine grit sand paper in a labeled box by the door this afternoon.

The jointer and planer both looked like they could use some love when I looked at them. The table saws and lathes looked ok.

2 Likes

I was going to bring my supplies in and polish jointer and planer surfaces at 3, but could be there at 12:30. If anyone wants to help or observe let me know, I’ll take some photos. I’m flexible on time this aftermoon.
Randy

2 Likes

Before

Wiped with naptha to remove wax
Rust was heavier than I expected so I used a unitized wheel, kinda like a dense scotchbright

![IMG_20200704_134114|374x500]

Then purple scotchbright

Then gray scotchbright

Then sprayed with CRC 3-36 and wipe off excess

8 Likes

Volunteers like you make DMS great! Thank you Sir!

4 Likes

A brand name (or product photo) would be useful, if you wouldn’t mind sharing.

1 Like