Volunteer Opp today: welding (MIG) 20200121

I have a volunteer opp today. I’ll be welding some stuff in metal and could always use a hand / let someone get some practice. I have two tasks.

• weld the hitch receivers to the bottom of the welding tables (this is for mounting vises in a way they can be moved around. Have 4 to weld on, and maybe we’ll plasma cut another vise mount and weld it to square tube whilst at it)
  • weld up a frame to make a backsplash for the KMG. This is because the plasma is now facing the operator (it is not a safety thing as has been complained, but since we have plenty of extra square tube and can grab some sheet it’s a easy courtesy. We require safety glasses to be in the room, and proper ANSI rated glasses have the appropriate rating).

ping me if you’re interested in helping out. I’ll likely be around the space in general starting at 2-3pm, but may be continuing this into later depending on who is around / what else is on my todo list.

Cheers,
-Jim

:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".

@malcolmputer will be up there tonight after work and is wanting to test out his new welding helmet. I’m sure he’ll help.

I’ll be up there once I wrap things up at work. I might be bringing a few people you know as well.

I apparently have a dinner at 6:15. I likely know these people. I’ll be in afterward if I’m not there before.

1 Like

This is good, because I’ve got a class at 7pm…

You mind sharing the welding area with me? I’ll take whichever side of the curtain you aren’t using.

1 Like

I’m here now welding some of it.

It needs to be done to both tables, but it doesn’t have to be done immediately after the next etc so can work around people and things.

First one is welded on. I found another item on my to-do list that might seize priority, so not sure I’ll finish.

-Jim

1 Like

That’ll work. We had somebody on the other side during the last class.

1 Like

I welded the other two opposite sides to yours. Keep in mind that the older weld table is a high nickle alloy or something that isn’t weldable, had the first few welds crack on me.

1 Like