Vinyl Cutter Upcoming Class

I want to use the vinyl cutter but a class is required.
I looked at the calendar and there are no classes
How do I go about obtaining clearance to use the machine.

Im familiar with media software, adobe CS, Autodesk etc. I’m a fast learner just mentioning it in case it helps expedite the process.

Thank you

There is currently a vinyl class in the review queue on 9-13 @7PM (not sure why labeled a Day Maker class):

If @mreynolds and @talkers are ok with it. I’ll be at Makerspace on Monday about 8-830. I have a 10am class I’m taking, however before then, I can show you how to use the vinyl cutter and it’s software.

1 Like

Yeah just make sure that you let infrastructure know so they can add to the AD

1 Like

Since you’re a fast learner, would you be willing to volunteer to teach the class after you learn it? It’s a popular tool and we can usually use more teachers.

3 Likes

Thank you Webdevel,

I’ll see you there Monday at 8:30AM

Looks like it’s a go!! I too will be joining in on this impromptu class.

1 Like

I need to take this class (mainly for the button maker) but I have a vinyl cutter with a few years experience and once I am used to the workflow there I would possibly be interested in teaching it.

2 Likes

If it’s not going to dip into @talkers I’ll start making that one of my monthly classes and put some on. I just always figured that was his specialty

1 Like

That’s fine …

Are there any classes to use the vinyl cutter in the near future? I’ve been monitoring the calendar but haven’t been able to find anything.

We just had CA office hours last weekend and no one showed. We are now offering these type classes in that setting once a month. That said, I know @squaredroots wants to teach some classes and she is awesome at vinyl.

1 Like

I just added a Vinyl Cutter class for next Wednesday the 11th at 6pm.

Not sure if it can be bumped through by an auditor or not (no honorarium requested) but it should show up on the calendar soonish either way.

5 Likes

Hoooray thank you! Just signed up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for doing this.

It looks like this is the link:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/14001

2 Likes

What file (s) can the vinyl cutter work with ?

1 Like

I have the best success importing .ai files.

1 Like

In my class, we actually start with a bitmap image and use the included software to create a vector.

5 Likes

You want a vector file. SVG, AI, DXF, some PDFs.
It has a tool to vectorize bitmap images (bmp, png, jpeg, etc). Success depends on the file. (high resolution, sharp edges,
minimal colors)

1 Like