Video editing software suggestions

So what video software have you fellow makers used with good results? Obviously I dont want to drop a ton of cash on it.

For the most part, its just to splice together GoPro/FauxPro footage.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about Blender for video editing on the cheap.

2 Likes

DMS members have free copies of Adobe Creative Cloud until July 6th, so you could use Premiere.

Should cover until we reopen and you can use the existing copies in-house.

Otherwise for the simple tasks OpenShot works fine, or you could use Da Vinci Resolve if you want something fancier that still has a free version.

5 Likes

Davinci Resolve. And you get quite a bit of functionality in the free version.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

6 Likes

Resolve is good, but it’s a better color corrector than editor.

Avid Media Composer has a free version as well.
https://my.avid.com/get/media-composer-first

I do like Premiere, but also have a hard time recommending learning a software package that you won’t want to pay for in a few months.

3 Likes

Windows Movie Maker is a basic video editor and is free.

It can be downloaded from:

Openshot.org and shotcut.org are free, you have access to Adobe for now. DaVinci is very good, and the 1 time cost to unlock 4k and 8k other features is like $299

1 Like

Shotcut for a PC is great. The interface take some getting used to but if you just want to do basic editing, it’s all you’ll need and it’s free. I use it all the time.

If all you’re doing is splicing, I suggest openshot. However, you’ll quickly hit its limitations if you want anything more than that.

Blender is very powerful, and it’s worth learning in case you want to do anything remotely complicated. Here is a link to the tutorial that got me started in Blender:

I’ve found Premiere to be the best, though. It’s powerful, and there are tons of youtube and online tutorials out there for anything you’re trying to accomplish.

I’ve never used DaVinci, so I can’t opine one way or the other.

1 Like

I personally use Hitfilm Express. It is free and very well featured. However, it may be more than you need and has a decent learning curve.