Vector - More than just personal storage

Hello All,

It seems there is a misconception about VECTOR and the space the committee inhabits. The perception is that nothing happens in Vector, nobody does anything in that space. It’s just a corner graveyard for old pinballs and arcades nobody does anything with.

WRONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

This is VECTOR and what we do.

Those that wonder what goes on in Vector have to understand, we are not a manufacturing facility, we just cant pump out product to keep the masses happy with new eye candy. We are what the M stands for in DMS, we are MAKERS.

We make things beautiful again, and we MAKE things that are pretty freaking cool. Does it happen overnight, no, it takes time and those in that committee take pride in the work that they do.

The photo above proves what we do kicks major ass, and this weekend proved that the hard work that apparently is not recognized by some at the space does happen.

We all can point out a million and 1 corners and areas at DMS that are deemed dead space, and Vector isn’t one of them. That dead space produced one hell of a showing at TPF and DMS was pushed as the spot that made it happen.

So before folks that randomly walk around and judge an area before they know anything about it, you might want to ask the people in the committee what they are doing instead of talking amongst yourselves and assuming you know whats going on or just deeming it personal storage.

What we do takes time, its an art and a passion to those involved. We are also grown adults not school children that need monitoring on what we did today in school. Some of us came to DMS to get away from big brother, this isn’t a job.

The dues get paid on time as expected by all members, and nobody is getting paid for this.

Lets keep this place a MAKERSPACE instead of walking around with MYSPACE intentions.

16 Likes

This is from when we were doing setup on Thursday. Almost every one of these machines was worked on at Vector and a Vast majority in the last year. Case in point for the Picture Nick posted, we SWEPT TOP MARKS for restorations and just plain BEST in show, all with creations and restorations done at DMS.

4 Likes

I was set up across the way from Vector and they were bringing in the crowds! They had a professional setup that rivaled any manufacturer, great presence representing the maker skills, and generated consistent crowds in the booth for all three days of the event.

I snuck over a few times from my sales booth to play some pinball games. :smiley:

Raymond

3 Likes

congratulations to the team! well done.

The diversity in projects is a great example of skill and talent. We have restorations, new creations (@rablack97’s Mortal Kombat), and projects that blur those lines (@Hardsuit’s pinball machine with custom cabinet and pieces).

The Vector Committee is a wonderful combination of the Makerspace. Electronics, Creative Arts, Woodshop, Metal Shop, and more. Very cool to see the team recognized and rewarded at the event.

3 Likes

I saw the little electronic hack you and Steve were working on with your EM machine. I don’t know if you got it to work but it would be an exciting mod to show off.

Very proud to be involved with these fine Makers and promote the VECTOR message… “Learn. Fix. Play.”

Knowledge, social interaction, and a bit of fun is indeed the magic formula. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Science loves it’s neighbors <3

2 Likes

Could you post the names of the “team” in the order in which they appear in the photo? First of all - it would give them recognition. And also, a lot of times we see people around the space a lot but don’t know all their names.

Thanks!
Chris

1 Like

Top left to right:

Chuck Baber, Rodney Black, Shawn Christian, Nick Dangerous, Nick Sainz, Stacy Wylie, Stephen Wylie

Below in front:

Jayson Woods and Paul Wilson

Honorable mention:

Erik Smith (not pictured… wasn’t present on Saturday but helped with logistics Sunday… thanks Erik!)

2 Likes

I didn’t make the group photo since I had my own booth. I got a pic taken with Nick but haven’t seen it posted yet.

2 Likes

Also this one cracks me up… “Patron Saint of Maker-y pinball… Ben Heck… please take a flyer!”