VECTOR Committee Chair Election Meeting & ROM Hacking Class! 4/23 7 PM

Hey folks,

We will be holding our semiannual chair election on April 23 at 7:00 PM remotely at the following address: meet.google.com/yhz-dkmv-trp Don’t miss it! Otherwise, there’s not really much else on the VECTOR meeting agenda.

However, at 7:30 PM Thursday April 23 at the same link, directly following the VECTOR meeting, I will conduct an online presentation of The Process of Arcade ROM Hacking. This class goes into:

• all kinds of knowledge around using MAME to edit tiles, sprites, game logic, and whatever else you can think of
  • how to use GIMP to generate your own graphics to import into the game
  • tools for taking your GIMP creations and importing them automatically, saving you from hours doing tedious calculations on artwork pixel-by-pixel and entering each answer into a hex editor

I have done lucrative contract work in this endeavor, and still learn more tricks & shortcuts each time I work on new platforms. We’ll cover much about the inner workings of the Bally MCR-3 system (Tapper, in particular), and how much of it relates to systems for decades in the future (until 3D rendering becomes the norm). Don’t miss it!

Calendar link to VECTOR Commitee Meeting: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15770
Calendar link to The Process of Arcade ROM Hacking: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15769
Teleconference link for both: meet.google.com/yhz-dkmv-trp

1 Like

Will you cover how to modify the test routine so the ROMs pass self checks?

I will, at least for the MCR-3 platform. :wink: Hopefully the depth at which I talk about it will allow folks to reason out how to fix it on other platforms.

1 Like

Gentle reminder about the VECTOR meeting and class this Thursday. If you ever thought it’d be cool to edit graphics or rules in an old arcade or home console game, join us on 4/23 at 7:30 PM at our virtual hangout http://meet.google.com/yhz-dkmv-trp !

And also, our chair election directly precedes the class, from 7-7:30.

1 Like

Final reminder! Come at 7 PM tomorrow 4/23 for the committee meeting, stay for the class (and sign up on the Calendar so we get credit for your attendance!) at 7:30. The public has been invited by Facebook & Twitter to tune in at 7:30, so everyone be on your best behavior. :wink: See you then!

2 Likes

Here are the minutes from this past Thursday’s meeting. There is 1 week from this time to make amendments before they are finalized.

In Attendance: Stephen Wylie, Chuck Baber, Mary Mathias, Shawn Christian, Stacy Devino

7:05 PM - Meeting called to order
7:05 PM - Brief discussion of the state of DMS during the closure and hoping to reconvene soon in person
7:12 PM - Motion by Stephen Wylie to nominate himself as candidate for committee chair
Seconded by Mary Mathias, Chuck Baber, Stacy Devino
7:13 PM - Discussion: No other candidates wish to nomimate themselves
7:14 PM - Elect Stephen Wylie as committee chair
For: Unanimous
Against: 0
Abstain: 0
7:15 - Meeting adjourned

1 Like