VECTOR April 2021 Committee Chair Election Meeting! 4/12 7-8 PM

It’s that time again: time to pick the VECTOR Committee Chair at our next committee meeting!

When? Monday, April 12, 2021, 7-8 PM
Where? North Lobby Classroom or https://meet.google.com/yhz-dkmv-trp
Also see https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16534

Be there or be a ball that drains straight down the middle!

I thought it was “Be there or be Chair”

3 Likes

Reminder that tomorrow (or today, depending on when you read this) is our committee chair election meeting!

Proposed agenda:

1. Chair election
  2. Propose name change from VECTOR
  3. Take inventory of the space

As Raymond said… Be There or Be Chair :wink:

Rename Vector to what? And for what purpose?

Join us tonight and find out!

I feel like this needs more discussion then a fast committee meeting. You should post it on here.

1 Like

Hopefully a name that makes it obvious to new members what the group does.

I was thinking, plain and simple, the Coin-op Committee. VECTOR is an acronym that hardly anyone remembers, is full of way too many big words, and misleads people into thinking it has to do with Sketchup, Solidworks, or the like. I’m open to other suggestions, like Coin-op Amusement Committee, Large Games Committee, Gaming Machines Committee, etc. All of these will have slightly different implications to different people, but will be way more “on target” than most people’s first idea of VECTOR.

The VECTOR name is known among the pinball and arcade community based on what we have accomplished over the years, our exposure at the Texas Pinball Festival and the museum events we have done, etc. We also were featured in a multi-page article in Pinball Magazine a few years ago. Years of work building our “brand” name.

If we are thinking of changing the name I feel that it should be floated for feedback with more than just the members present during the monthly meeting with such short notice.

I do agree that the VECTOR name acronym that was created by Nick and Nic is a bit confusing but it is well known.

Over the years we have grown beyond the original focus of just doing pinball and arcade restoration to a wider range of restoration projects. Not just coin-op related stuff anymore. Jukeboxes, player pianos, old vacuum tube radios, etc.

Just my two cents…

2 Likes

I have attached the excerpt from the 200+ page Pinball Magazine issue 4 where Nic Schell, Jayson Woods and I were interviewed around the time of the 2016 Texas Pinball Festival.

PM04

PM04-Vector-article.pdf (935.3 KB)

1 Like

@Shawn_Christian and I where talking about this and I like his idea of keeping Vector.

just rename the group
VECTOR: Retro Restoration

or something like that

you would keep that well known vector but make it easier for other to know what we do.

3 Likes

I dig it!! Preserves the name and makes it clear what awesome stuff you all do!

I’ll have an item for discussion with the chair during the call. :slight_smile:

Here are our meeting minutes: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/VECTOR_Committee_Reports_2021-04-12 TLDR I am chair again :slight_smile: These minutes will be ratified after 10 days if there are no requested changes.

I forgot to call out during the meeting that we successfully set up a booth at the recent DFW Pinball & Arcade swap meet on Saturday for recruitment, featuring Paul’s Polynesia game, our mini pinball parts demonstrations, and signage describing DMS, VECTOR, and related events.

2 Likes