Vapor Hone Media Swap

Per the October 2019 Metal Shop Committee Meeting notes, I don’t see a media replacement listed as complete. What is the official process/logistics sign off required for swapping media?

I’ll be doing an engine rebuild soon on my Mini and the Vapor Hone would be super useful for prepping pieces and surface finishing (with the right media) prior to paint. Ideally, I would be using the glass bead media on externals and/or Armex Soda on sensitive engine parts. I’m assuming I would be the one paying for and swapping the media unless we have some handy.

1 Like

We replaced it at the November meeting.

1 Like

Do you know what media was used as the replacement? And are their rules on swapping media in/out for special projects? If I can’t use a specific media due to the hassle, that’s totally understandable. I’ll just have to figure out a different way to prep the parts. Point of bringing the topic up, I don’t want to damage bearing surfaces, brass, and plastic bits that otherwise wouldn’t (I think) be damaged with media like glass bead or armex soda.

1 Like

@TBJK do you know what media is in the machine now?

If it’s the stuff from the previous few changes, it’s aluminum oxide or something aluminum and it’s a fine red powder that comes in a 2 gallon white bucket. If you’re near the shop it’s probably lying around somewhere.

Ahh, that’ll work for the exterior of the engine case and gearbox but definitely not more sensitive parts like the carb with the brass and plastic since it cuts too aggressively.

Its

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200136724_200136724

Medium grit aluminum oxide

1 Like