Vaccine Booster Point of Reference

I ended up catching Covid a few months before the vaccines were available. I had a very easy time of it. Basically felt like a bad cold, but the symptoms were mostly mitigated with OTC meds. I did run a fever for ~36 hours, and basically felt like crap for a couple days. Blessedly, I’ve been WFH since the beginning of the pandemic and was able to run at about half productivity for those days.

Both of my Moderna vaccines were about the same, with about a 12 hour crappy feeling. I was able to do my first on a Friday at 4PM, so I spent Saturday feeling achy and tired, but not too bad. The other sucked a touch more as it was on a weekday so I was about the same half-productive the next day, but no further issues.

I’m 100% going to get a booster when It makes sense, but would honestly be OK with sending those doses to another country or region that hasn’t had the chance to get any vaccine yet.

4 Likes

San Francisco, LA, Seattle/Bellevue, NYC and New Orleans all have some version of a vaccine mandate for some combination of indoor restaurants, gyms, theaters, nail salons and shopping malls. This includes patrons, not just employees.

1 Like

My father-in-law told me there was a bunch of restaurants in San Francisco that were requiring you show your vaccine card to eat there. He was saying some of them were still eating outside & requiring it.

Eating outside and requiring is a bit absurd but I can understand restaurant workers not wanting to catch it or spread it to their families.

That doesn’t make me feel good at all. I personally feel we shouldn’t mandate any medical procedure. I also hope the ADA is expanded to cover questioning around vaccinations as a large group being unjustly targeted in the drive to 100% vaccinated are those with disabilities which put them in the category of high risk to life altering or ending side effects. Plus, we all should be free not to be required to disclose private medical information. As privacy is often core to freedom, and freedom is what make us so special.

2 Likes

Just had my Pfizer booster the other day. Zero side effects, not even a sore arm.
Now:

• Flu vax in a couple weeks
  • Then new Shingles shot
  • Next spring Hep C

Clearly not an anti-vaxer but I’m against mandatory Covid vaxes.

Couldn’t tell you how many total vaccines I had in the Army: 6 on first day of Boot (three before I went including Plague, Smallpox, Typhoid! Made me wonder what hell was I getting into), probably another initial 6 when I arrived in Panama, then all the maintenance shoots. Fortunately, didn’t have to take the Cholera shots every 6 months, those are nasty each time.

5 Likes

Got my moderna booster + flu vaccine last week. Sore arm + slight exhaustion the next day, otherwise nothing like moderna #2 where I had to take a half day off work the day after because of the fatigue + chills + soreness + brain fog.

5 Likes

Guess I’m the odd guy out here…
Johnson vac back in late April - No noticeable side effects
Johnson booster ~1 week ago - a bit under the weather but also dealing w/ allergies.

3 Likes

Freedom is a two-way street. Schools, businesses, and places of public accommodation are free to set their own policies for entry. While you have the freedom to not take the vaccine, your employer (especially in an at-will state like Texas) has the freedom to tell you you’re not welcome to work there if you don’t take it, and they’re free to exclude customers who don’t take the vaccine as well.

I have a family friend who remembers vividly her mother, in tears, eaten up with worry that my friend and her siblings (children at the time) would contract Polio before their turn for vaccination came up. If Covid was the new Polio and left its survivors paralyzed, we wouldn’t be having this “freedom” conversation.

3 Likes

Nor would folks be caterwauling about breakthrough cases, because it was well known that breakthrough was possible with the polio and all other vaccines. That got lost somewhere in the last 2 years. Breakthrough polio == muscle aches and fatigue.

2 Likes

I strongly disagree with the framing of your statement. You over simplify the ideas your sharing to the point of being incorrect. While also comparing to a drastically different situation.

I’m vaccinated and as long as that is an appropriate decision for me I will continue to be vaccinated. That said, I have friends that can not or choose not to risk vaccination. Not a single person I know in that group does so for the intention of harming others. Instead, they do it to try and limit harm to themselves. This is honest reasoning for a decision like this.

My issue comes with the dishonest reasoning. Such as businesses requiring vaccination for political gain and fear of non-existent or unconstitutional mandates. Add the complication of hysterical fear to your decision process and these dishonest reasons are more harmful.

2 Likes

Comparing the reaction to COVID and polio is interesting - most people who get polio have no symptoms or minor symptoms. For some reason, there’s a belief that it’s ok to expose school children who are too young to be vaccinated to COVID and that was a source of stress and frustration for me as a parent. I even had people tell me I should expose my children to COVID on purpose. I’m so glad both kids are vaccinated now. COVID might not be as bad as polio but it can still have long term effects.

To keep this somewhat on topic, both kids had their second shot on Friday with no side effects other than a sore arm. :smiley:

7 Likes

Had that. First shot no side effects. Second shot down in bed for 24 hours feeling like a truck hit me (the day after the shot, IIRC). I would still do it again but I would plan the timing a little better … like when I had a spare day I could spend in bed.

1 Like

I had both shingles shots and not side effects from either. A real blessing, but I’ve known a couple of people who had shingles an OMG it was terrible for them. Take the shots if you’re able.

2 Likes

Mannn, the Shingrex made my arm feel like a pit bull bit it for 4 days. No fever, chills anything else, but a big distracting ache for days! I’m overdue for the 2nd, and dreading it.

1 Like

I had the mildest case of shingles ever in my forties…it still was a bit painful. I was kinda happy, though, as I thought then I couldn’t get it again but, apparently, you can get it multiple times. So that’s bullshit! Who can I complain to? I think I’ll put an agenda item on for the next BoD meeting…

1 Like

There’s a vaccine for that, sir.

#banhammer

3 Likes

Like @Russell_Crow mentioned, I think it’s shringex? Shingles Vaccine | SHINGRIX

2 Likes

Since we are bosting of shingles, my story is I had a mild case, I thought it was poison ivy, my wife recognized it from when her dad got it, i got treatment right away, but it was still one of the most painful things Ive had and ive fractured ribs, face planted on a rock and got an orbital floor fracture under my left eye, and I have a titanium plate in my clavicle, but I think shingles was the worst pain of all of them. Vacinated now

5 Likes

Dude…you need to take better care of yourself :–)

But yeah…apparently it interacts closely with nerves/nervous system.

2 Likes