Use of the buffer wheel

Do you need special training for the polishing wheel. I have been trained on the 72 inch belt grinder, so I know the obvious, but still wasn’t sure. My only question is how do you turn it on and off. Any limitations? Are there any polishing compounds available?
Thanks

the metal shop bench grinders and wire/buffer wheels (note the KMG is not part of that set, since it’s managed by blacksmithing) requires a self-study training. There is a QR code on the grinder pedestal, that when scanned takes you to a google quiz. Almost everything needed to pass that quiz is on the pedestal. Anything you get wrong, the Google system explains to you. Passing this quiz gives you the padlock code to turn on the pedestal using the disconnect box on the side.

Cheers,
-Jim

2 Likes

Oh! Like most thing, the answer is right in front of your eyes. Thanks.

Forgot to add: we don’t always have any, but you can check the compartment on the side of pedestal (opposite side of the electrical box) to see if we have any compound. Last I recall the wheel might have been due for a swap; if you’re comfortable doing that you’re free to install a new one if we have one in there.

1 Like

The information @hon1nbo presented is also linked from the tools list on the wiki, which also links to a bunch of manuals, etc. for many of the tools.

1 Like