Usage report for Poly Printers?

Just wondering if there are any usage log reports from the polyprinters or octoprint software to gauge how much usage they are getting, peak times of usage, print time averages, etc…

Sorry for all of the business metrics just a curious mind and to see if we are tracking the needs of additional printers possibly.

Thanks!

Matt

1 Like

I don’t know if DMS is actually keeping track of that info. The Makerspot in NRH does, here are some of their statistics:
http://www.themakerspot.org/2015/10/07/september-2015-usage-report/

Edit: the MakerSpot is only open about 160 hours a month.

1 Like

how are they tracking that? Can we track it?

1 Like

This was actually discussed at Sundays 3d fab meeting. I’m doing some research on how octoprint can be configured to send logs, probably to a syslog server where they can be downloaded and then summarized. I’m working on research and hopefully proof of concept at home, and would then need to work with Lisa and infrastructure to impliment.

It looks like it may be able to get file upload times, print start times, and print end times. Then anything else would have to be post analysis.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Kevin. Are there meeting minutes from the Sunday Fab Meeting?

I do not think anyone took minutes.

Much of the discussion was about a recent increase in clogged nozzles and what may be causing it. 3D Fab will be running an experiment in March to try to figure out whether the problem stems from a couple of likely suspects, black filament and people bringing their own filament. There was some discussion about modifying the pricing structure, but “Walter” gave us numbers that 3D Fab was the most fiscally inexpensive committee in the space, which is great news considering the huge usage and the big draw the 3D printers are.

3D Fab will try to begin providing 2 gallon bags for storing filament as well as guidance about the best practices for the care of filament.

Somebody please provide details about other topics discussed.

1 Like

Thanks Bill for the update. Perhaps filament filter need to be added to the printers? Just a thought. That is great news about budget! Any talk about adding more Poly printers or space usage?

Matt, as far as filters for the filament goes… It has been suggested that over time the foam (or whatever material may end up being used), will likely flake off and potentially cause more problems than it would be trying to prevent by passing the foam/material through to the extruder…

As far as meeting notes… It was a pretty informal meeting; and, as Bill mentioned, we didn’t take any official notes… However, John G did put some notes together after the meeting of the information he recalled from the conversations. The information below is the draft of what he sent to Mitch and I:

3D Fab committee meeting January 31, 21016

Solidworks. Education licenses. open help desk ticket to request.

Payment structure. $0.10 a gram was designed to cover plastic and extra expenses. Change pay structure?
Lisa proposes adding a daily fee of $1 and lowering the cost. Encourage greater use of Space Filament

Clogged nozzles. $100 on nozzles in the last 2 weeks.
Black may be the culprit.
dirty filament, prob outside filament
reserve Black for one PolyPrinter printer only. gather data.

Printrbot - working well. Mendy ready to go.
Cura the prefered slicer. Kiss Slicer should have printrbot setting
Encourage using different filaments. Wax, Ninjaflex, Wood

Post list of helpful tips for Cura and Printrbot/Mendy

Training
need to develop a curriculum. Consistent instruction
Stress people do not attempt repairs. Open Helpdesk ticket

Looking at logging type system. confirm training, membership status, etc

Discussing solutions for encouraging payment. Digression on in house payment systems.
The easier it is to pay, the more will pay.

3D Fab has a google hangout.

Concern:
air quality
signage - lots of little signs. let’s remake them. easier to read, condensed. Add tips.

That covers a lot of the rest of what was discussed… (again, informal / draft notes; but, definitely helps relay some/most of the highlights… :slight_smile: )

That being said… The pay structure is not going to change at this time. We will revisit the idea in April - after we’ve had a chance to gather stats during the month of March.

A couple of the guys are going to work on what type of data can be exported/gathered (including Kevin, as he mentioned above)…

The changes we are going to implement for the month of March, to help better isolate where the issues are…

We are going to designate the following:
One PolyPrinter 3D printer will be “in-house black ABS filament only”
One PolyPrinter 3D printer will be “in-house - any color EXCEPT black ABS filament only”
Two PolyPrinter 3D printers will remain the same (“in-house” or “bring your own” ABS filament)

We will ensure that all four PolyPrinters have brand new nozzles in them on March 1st; and, that any clogs will be carefully documented (and resolved by replacing the clogged nozzle with another new nozzle).

The reason we are separating the two that will be designated for “in-house” ABS only between “black filament” and “any color EXCEPT black” is because we have been advised that the majority of the clogs are from black filament; and, this will allow us to get better data on it - instead of just flat out banning the use of all black filament across the board.

Another change coming, as soon as we can code it, is that we will be configuring Octoprint to use members’ Active Directory logins - to ensure that only active members are using the printers (and only using one at a time), etc…

Also, in addition to 3D Fab providing 2 gallon plastic bags for members to store their own filament in (along with some basic tips and training on how to properly store their filament), John is working on getting the acrylic covers added to the shelves in the 3D Fab Room, so we can do a better job storing the ‘in-house’ filament better.

Finally, we are going to be adding a ‘test’ as part of the 3D Fab trainings - that will ensure that the most important information that members need to know about using the printers/resources is learned & acknowledged once they have attended the training. We will likely allow members previously trained to ‘test-out’ prior to implementing the Active Directory login system.

I believe that covers most of what we discussed… This was absolutely the best attended 3D Fab Meeting EVER! Over a dozen members actively participated (including “Walter” (aka Allen)! To those of you who were able to take the time to attend & participate ~ THANKS Y’ALL!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Just to be clear, since the copy/paste from John’s notes lost their formatting…

The section below is strictly about Midnight (the PrintrBot) and Mendy (the Mendel90)…
The PrintrBot and Mendel90 are both available to use exotic & experimental filament, as well as PLA (all of which is NOT allowed on the PolyPrinters available for use by members at Dallas Makerspace).

Lisa,

Great overview of the meeting! Thank you for all of the information, very helpful. It is good to know what all is going on in the 3D Fab committee.

Excellent Idea on designating the printers to isolate the issues, and thought on the the filters!

Great idea on the AD logins as well!

Had a suggestion on storage of the filament and storage in general to allow for growth (More PC’s and Printers :wink: The space under the printing tables is highly under utilized and could easily fit a modified or built in storage unit. I took some measurements, and would love to help create some additional space under there if we have another clean and organize date set up.

Let me know when you will be up there or want to schedule a clean and organize date.

Thanks,

Matt

2 Likes

I concur that Lisa’s write-up is a great summary of the meeting. (And much shorter than actually attending it! :wink: )

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: IMPORTANT: Upcoming Changes in 3D Fab (if you use our 3D printers, you will want to read this!)

A post was merged into an existing topic: IMPORTANT: Upcoming Changes in 3D Fab (if you use our 3D printers, you will want to read this!)

Hey everyone. I am the GRA for UTA FabLab, and this is something that we are working on implementing for the Polyprinters we have here. I’ve done some work and already have a basic version running on my test build. It still lacks validation rules, but that’s what is being worked on. I do not know if the system we’re working on will work for the DMS, but would like to know more about the current system, if any. I am planning on visiting DMS this Thursday during the open hours, and perhaps could talk more about this with someone at that time?

1 Like

Hello Tushar,

I will be there tomorrow in the 3D lab working on the Midnight Printerbot with Wax filament. I could tell you what i know about how it is set up but, Lisa Selk or Mitch Cerroni would be the ones to talk to regarding specific details on how the system is set up. I can introduce you to them if they are there.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

Hi Tushar (@DeviousFusion),

I work until 9 PM, so can’t usually get there before 10 PM or so (depending upon traffic, etc…); but, I would love to meet up with you about this - either tonight (if you will be there late) and/or at another time soon. Late evening or weekends work best for me.

There are others who are interested in working on various solutions along these lines, too. I would love to set up a meeting - perhaps the following weekend (27th or 28th?) for all interested in Octoprint / Usage Reports / Error tracking / etc… to get together and put our heads together…

I hope to meet you soon!

Thanks!
Lisa
:slight_smile:

ps: Thanks Matt ~ for offering to show him what you can and to introduce him to us 'n all! :slight_smile:

Thanks to @PearceDunlap (and everyone else who was around) for showing @DeviousFusion & Morgan (from UTA) around! I had the pleasure of meeting them (I showed up as they were getting ready to leave…); and, was glad to hear they were able to check the 'Space out and exchange info 'n all the greatness! :slight_smile: