Upgrade to the Shapeoko 3XXl in plastics

We have installed and configures an upgrade to the Shapeoko 3 XXL in the plastics area. The upgrade is called a Bit Setter, This is an automatic tool probe that sets a tool offset value on the Z axis when you change a tool bit. (You still have to set a material Z value with the Bit Zero Probe, but the Bit Setter will automatically compensate for a different length tool if your g-code includes a tool change.) If this makes sense to you, you probably understand how useful this will be in making precise cuts after tool changes. If you are already checked out on the Shapeoko 3, take a minute and search for and watch a youtube video on the Bit Setter.

When you set your machine values on startup, check “enable” next to the Bit Setter option. DO NOT change the XY offset values on the machine settings screen. Once you enable this, after initializing, the machine will present the spindle at the front-center position and prompt to install a tool. It will then travel to the preset xy position to do the Z probe and you can then proceed to set the material zero settings as normal with the Bit Zero sensor. We will incorporate the basics of the use of the Bit Setter into the machine training going forward. We are working on some intermediate “project based” Shapeoko3 classes and will cover tool changes with the Bit Setter in more detail there. If you have tool changes for advanced V carve or “rest machining” tool paths, this will be a great addition to the capability of the tool. If you want a demonstration, find me around the machine shop and I will show you how it works.

Kevin

9 Likes

Cool! Thank you!
Because Shapeoko 3XXL doesn’t appear to have made the jump to Source (and even if it had, I don’t know where this kind of info is supposed to go) I’ve added a blip to the Wiki about this, and linked back to this post.

1 Like

This is awesome! I recently started using the machine and was wondering how mid-cut bit switching would be possible. Will look out for advanced 3XXL classes.