Upgrade to General Class License - Free Training Class

2018 General License Ham Radio Class

Note: This class is NOT at the Dallas Makerspace

The Plano Amateur Radio Club is presenting an Amateur Radio General License class. The class will be held over two weekends, on Saturday and Sunday: November 3rd–4th. AND November 10th–11th. The class will be held at the Lucas Fire Station training facility. The fire station is located at 165 Country Club Ln, which is just north of Bethany/Lucas Rd, in Lucas TX. Lucas is located just east of Allen, TX off of US Hwy 75 at the Bethany Rd. exit.

As always the class is free, the test is $14.00 cash. The class will start at 8:00 AM each day and will finish up by at least 5:00 PM, depending on class participation and questions. The EXAM will begin at 3:00 on Sunday November the 11th. Other amateur radio class exams (Technician or Extra) will also be available for those wishing to take those exams. Parking should be available on the south side of the fire station. A government issued photo ID will be required to take the exam on the Sunday afternoon of the exam . You will also need to bring a copy of your current FCC Amateur Radio license on the date of the exam. (an FCC Requirement).

To prepare for this class, we urge you to pick up a copy of one of the General Class license study guides, and read through the material at least once prior to the class. You should not expect to just walk in to the four day training class and grasp all the necessary information to successfully pass the exam. But, if you prepare by reading through the study guide at least once, and marking any items that you have questions about, and then pay attention and ask questions during the four day training class, there is an excellent probability that you will pass the exam with a high score.

Our course material is based on the “Ham Radio School’s General License Course” Study Guide, by Stu Turner. These study guides are available online and locally at the Ham Radio Outlet store 701 E. Plano Parkway Suite 406, across the street from Fry’s Electronics in Plano. The cost for the study guide should be around $20.00. There are also a number of online practice exams that can help you identify those areas where you need a little extra practice.

TO REGISTER,for this class, or if you have any additional questions, please send an email to Mike Pruden at ([email protected]). Please provide your NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, and TELEPHONE NUMBER, in case we need to reach out to you with any changes.

Thanks
Please comment here: https://k5prk.net/general-license-class-and-exam-first-two-weekends-in-november/

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m going to shoot for take my Extra by then. I am finding self study a litter tougher than it was for General, but I’m tired of hearing all the good DX hiding in the Extra portions of the band.

Hmmm, if we get a new crop of Generals maybe we could do a BITX40/µBITX build day/class to get them onto HF.