Upgrade lighting in shop?

Is it possible to add more/brighter lighting to the welding area?
I know the bulb on the extractor needs to be replaced, but a nice bright, evenly lit shop would be nicenice. Even shop light out two hung over the table would be an improvement. At least for these old man eyes.
Thanks
Bones

3 Likes

Lee and I were talking last night about creating a SIG for welding. These are a few of the issues we can address. I’m thinking we need more square footage for metal soon. I thinking about wall refiguration.

@Team_Metal_Shop

I’d like to cut out on the plasma a big kick ass sign we design to put up on the wall for the Metal Shop … you know with flames, punisher head, pistons and skulls… stuff like that …

1 Like

@Team_Logistics was upgrading all the ceiling lights to LED, but they need help. Are you volunteering? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are the led replacements rated at more lumens than existing fluorescents? @ESmith

Bet that cleaning off the diffusers would brighten the room immensely.

LED tubes rated at somewhat lower lumens than floros, however all those lumens are going downwards, thus less loss to the backside of the fixture. Logistics is nearly out of LED tubes and had not planned on replacing any in the metalshop.

4 Likes

I’m getting the impression no one does maintenance on sand blaster

3 Likes

Now slightly but not significantly better, would be $100 to replace all the diffusers.

3 Likes

Hmm, leds, plus the plastic grid style diffusers should make quite a noticeable difference. I replaced the fluorescent lights in my shop with led’s, sans diffusers, and it made a big difference.

One of the fixtures over laser has no diffuser and it makes a heck of a difference.

Grid diffusers would reduce the annoyance of looking at the floro/LED tubes directly.

1 Like

Would these be a drop in replacement for the existing diffuser housing? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-White-Eggcrate-T12-Troffer-Replacement-Diffuser-L2GT-PLTS-R5/100579509

This picture better shows the impressive amount of dust on top of the diffuser, how did it get there? Heat drawing air up through the fixture?

To help?
Absolutely.

Very short term I zip tied a shop light to the extractor. Helps me. If it gets in anyone’s way please feel free to cut off and out side.

Sign me up for welding SIG.
Bones

Replaced one of the diffusers with a grate, had to trim 1" off both sides. Not sure if it made that much difference, but at least it wont slowly grow dimmer over time. ($14 per, would be another $126 to do the rest, or 0 to just remove diffusers)

1 Like