Update on status of the stained glass power tools

I have been going through all the power tools, wire saw, grinders, wet belt sander, etc. to check for operation, cleaning, repair, parts, etc. This is an update, or rather first post on status.

Gryphon Wet Belt Sander

Sander is operational. Still need to install sanding belt to make certain belt is tracking o.k. Needs a
standard household sponge (3x5x3/4 in) for wetting belt.

Supplies: Currently have 1 80 grit, very coarse belt, 2 120 grit standard belts, and 2 very fine 400 grit belts. No additional belts ordered.

Potential Issue: Installing or changing belts is very easy, but correct tension is critical! Too loose and the belt slips, too tight and it breaks. Belts are $8 plus shipping.

Gryphon Omni 2 Diamond Wirw Saw

Operational, and in good shape. I lubricated thed the guides, as suggested in instructions. Saw has battery powered led illumination which is not operational due to corroded battery holder. Plan to replace (Tanners). Tubing still o.k., however have purchased a small supply for future use. Also the nylon nut that holds the blade is slightly rounded, so the supplied plastic wrench does not work. A standard 7/16 metal wrench does.

Supplies: We have 4 or 5 replacement wire blades, and 2 sets of replaceable blade guides. No additional supplies ordered.

Potential Issues: I noticed some damage to the lower blade guide holder, due either to a worn out/not replaced guide, or operation without guide. Guides are plastic and will wear out, but “aggessive” cutting will shorten life.

Small Glastar Grinder

This is very outdated model no unique replacement parts available. The grinder does work, and the grinder head appears serviceable. I believe the grinding heads for the newer models will fit this one. The work table is warped, and I will attempt to flatten it. The splash guard, that also serves as sponge support is missing. I plan to redesign one, and fabricate by 3D priinting.

Supplies: Only requires grinding heads and sponges. One head on the machine, no others. Sponges will be cut from standard kitchen sponges. Nothing ordered.

Potential Issues: Removing grinder head, warped work surface, no splash guard sponge holder, no eye shield.

Glastar “All Star” Grinder

This was recently retrived from storage and has not yet been thouroghly examined. I suspect it still works. Needs thourogh cleaning, Maybe replacement of rusted screws (ascetic only). Large variety of grinder heads included. The normal wetting sponge replaced with an “AquaFlow” system from TechniGlass. This a special brush beneath the table that both wets and cleans the grinder. The brush holder is ok, but brush appears worn.

Supplies: Plenty of grinders. Ordered replacement brushes for the “AquaFlow”. Can use with sponge if necessary.

Potential Issues: Removing grinder head, face shield support present, shield itself missing.

Inland Grinder (WizCG, or WizlingCG)

Only difference between models is motor power. Operational. Unit extremely diry, and difficult to clean as the glass grindings hardened into a glass cement. Also, grinder set screw corroded in place. Splash guard missing, and no face shield. As it stands, this grinder is difficult to clean. The top tablle comes off easily for rinsing, but the water reservior cannot be removed without removing the grinder. Cleaned up both table and reservior, removed grinder head and repaired. Ordered a replacement sponge holder insert for 3/4 in grinders, replacement splash guard, variety of standard grinders, and replacement sponges. Sponges ordered primarily to determine dimensions. Parts have arrived, still need to install. I also ordered an “AquaFlow” system for this grinder.

Supplies: 4 sponges, 4 grinder bits, AquaFlow conversion kit, replacement brushes for AquaFlow.

Potential Issues: Need to remove grinder bit to clean bottom tray, and then replace. Vaseline on shaft and grinder set screw to prevent siezing.

Diamond Laser 3000 Bandsaw

Not the latest model. Operational. Issue with blade not tracking appears resolved after reinsalling, and correcting tension. Valve on water drip supply frozen. Disassembled and polished stopcock. Now works. Tubing ok, but could replace if needed. Still needs some cleaning, particularly the work table and t guide.

Supplies: 1 extra blade, 1 extra drive belt

Potential issues: May require additional adjustment if blade runs off. Tension adjustment is critical, and over tensioning blade will break blade. Cost is about $75 each!

Taurus 3 Ring Saw

Not currently operational due to broken drive belt. Several replacements on order. Once installed, must further assess operational status. Bottom saw cover is missing, but it is not necessary for table operation. It is needed if saw is removed and used freehand. Replace cover available from Delphi Glass for $27.95.

Supplies: Ordered 3 belts, several special blades available.

Potential issues: Currently not known.

9 Likes

The belts arrived for the Taurus 3 ring saw. The saw has been cleaned, and a new belt installed! it is now fully operational. The blade installed is the standard, round blade that allows cutting in any direction. We have only 1 standard blade. We also have 1 slicing blade, and 1 mega blade, but I consider these as specialty blades. Also the mega blade requires a special belt which we do not have. I suggest we order 1 standard blade as a backup spare. A generic blade can be purchased on Amazon for $30, free shipping with Prime. Also could use hole reducers to minimize water flooding work piece, and replacement red gear grommets.

5 Likes

Update on the update. While looking for parts, I discovered a replacement tensioner for the Taurus ring saw, and realized the current one is broken/incomplete. So I ordered one, along with some hole reducer sheets, and replacement red gears.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for getting these in working shpe for us

Yea! Thank you! I’ll get with you soon to talk about some of this.

Thank you,

Anita Willis

Man you are racing through this stuff, awesome job

1 Like

Chuck!

Put in your box of parts, Face plate needs a screw. Nate since Chuck is out of town could you assist with this? I’m sure we have a screw, I have no idea where to look.

Also found just one of the grey things you are looking for.

Thank you,
Anita Willis

Um not entirely sure what you’re asking but let me know next time you’re at the space and I’ll certainly try to help. I don’t get notifications unless I’m tagged or replied to though for some reason just dumb luck I noticed this

Hello Chuck,

Nate found that the cover on the red ring saw will not fit while attached to the base. We have concluded since the cover is lined with a sponge and removable, for cutting this may not be required on while the cutter is attached to the base. Used with the sponge to keep things wet when removed from the base. I will be using it tomorrow on a giant piece of glass removed from the base. My concern is the diamond ring being kept wet enough.

Anita

1 Like

I would Google the model of it and see if there are instructional videos or manuals since you’re going to be playing with electricity, water, glass and a diamond saw

I checked already, it does not go on for regular use.

Kris A and I have been using this saw for about 6 months. It does a wonderful job! I think when multi people get to using it we may need another one down the road

1 Like

Awww chuck! The grinder you snazzied up for us works amazing! Thank you. We Start GlassWorks 101 Tools classes the end of September.

2 Likes

Chuck, did you order belts for the glass sander? The belt that was on it was for wood?

Sorry, haven’t been checking talk! Regarding the ringsaw bottom cover. It is only for hand use, and I think you just keep the sponges wet.

I did not buy any belts for sander as there were several in the donation boxes. I think there are coarse, medium, and fine. These are standard sanding belts that are used for wood, metal, and glass. For glass abrasive must be wet. There needs to be a standard size sponge in bottom of sander to keep belt wetted. I bought a pack, but don’t remember if I put in the box of supplies/parts.

1 Like