Update on sherline CNC lathe

Here is a Video of the CAM Simulation. I had to create the tool library, for stuff we dont quite have yet.

No you are not crazy, there is no audio.

I didn’t realize we had tools with inserts for the Sherline. I know we bought the 2259 and 2260 boring bars with 55 degree and 80 degree inserts but those were the only ones I was aware of.

The insert in the cam is a 35 degree LH & RH. I tried the 55 degree but it left too much material.

I have inverted the X axis on the lathe to be compatible with Fusion 360’s CAM.

4 Likes

Does it now work?

Well here is video of the CNC Sherline running.

Here is the hemisphere, Language warning, I do have some salty language in it.
16 Likes

Guys! Wow! Awesome work!

Fantastic work. That is AWESOME. Thanks Tim and all who got it working.

I gave the CNC sherline a once over today, and it’s much tighter now. There was about 1/8" of backlash possible in both of the axes due to the thrust bearings having a large amount of clearance between them and the couplings. To remedy this I put in the stiffest but smallest springs I could find at the space (1/4" SHCS split washers bent to be lower profile) and compressed them by hand with the couplings. There is still the backlash from the lead screw but it’s at least an order of magnitude or two lower than it was now. I also adjusted the gibs which seemed quite loose, and now there is a lot less rotary play possible about each slideway. I don’t think it’s too tight for the steppers to move, but if it’s sticking a bit next time someone uses it the gibs might need to be loosened a bit.

This might explain some of the weird cuts where the cutter didn’t make it to centerline. Hopefully that is fixed now.

Regardless I would be curious to see how it performs next time someone uses it. If it’s better, I’d be interested to see footage :grin:

5 Likes

I Hope u recover soon.