Update on sherline CNC lathe

Here is an interesting website that sells upgraded motors and headstocks for the Sherline equipment. GlockCNC

I modified my personal CNC’ed Sherline Mill with a heavy duty headstock that will accept R8 tooling. Then I use Tormach TSS adapters for quick change tooling. The R8 headstock removes about an inch of Z axis clearance so I installed a taller Sherline Z column to compensate for that. I still use the original Sherline motor, plenty of power for me. So why did I change to R8 on a Sherline? If you have ever used Tormach TSS adapters, then you would understand. Easy quick change with no tooling recalibration. I use Mach4 for my CNC program. I switch it back and forth between my Mill and Lathe.

4 Likes

Anyone have any better google-Fu than me with the motor drive? I’m trying to figure out the difference between the KBLC-240DS vs KBIC-240DS.

Looks like maybe its been replaced

According to this website, the KBLC was discontinued (https://www.radwell.com/en-US/buy/KB+ELECTRONICS/KBLC240DS) and KB electronics doesn’t list it in their DC drive lineup anymore (http://acim.nidec.com/drives/kbelectronics/products/variable-speed-dc-drives/dc-drives-chasis)

However, the downloads section of their website gives you the option of downloading the manual and the KBLC and KBIC both point to the same page (http://acim.nidec.com/drives/kbelectronics/downloads/product-manuals). I assume that means the KBIC is the replacement for the KBLC.

The datasheets I found for them appear completely identical. Down to the dimensions of mounting slots.

4 Likes

Makes me feel better. I felt that they were essentially the same but feel better that you were able to find that.

3 Likes

So I received the motor controller and speed controller for it today.

1 Like

cool. getting closer and closer!

1 Like

I put the new speed controller on the machine Thursday. Turns out the heat sink on the KBLC is smaller than the KBIC. I had to swap the heat sinks. I also tested it to make sure it worked. I also found the issue of why the older one did not work.
A blown trace, I think it can be repaired to have around as a spare. Today we (Myself & Swiss Chris) added the 0-10/0-5 vdc signal isolation board. We had to modify the enclosure its mounted in & the base heat sink because the isolation board was slightly offset. I also discovered someone took our spare enclosure I had purchased for the lid specifically so it wont have a hole in it for the potentiometer. We ran some tests and were able to get the motion controller to send the RPM signal & start stop for the spindle. We also discovered our shielded cable was missing so we could not run it permanently.

So what remains you ask, Running that speed signal, verification of the speed to speed signal. We would also like to investigate the possibility of increasing the PWM from 3.3 to a 5 volt signal for more top end speed.

10 Likes

Myself & @Chris_Wischkowsky worked on it a bit yesterday. We will be working on it again today. We created a circuit to get a full 5 volts dc to the speed controller from a 3.3 volt PWM signal.

In doing this we were able to get 3200 rpm.

5 Likes

We got the speed signal permanently tied in, we tested but had issues with the low end of the speed, we are going to use a Logic Level converter to get the low speed on key.

3 Likes

I have the need for speed!

2 Likes

Sure. But not too fast.:grinning:

Russell Ward

1 Like

So this past weekend, @malcolmputer made a signal converter for us to use. We tested it, I believe it went to about 3200 rpm. I decided to shrink the board some more to make it fit better in the enclosure out of the spare parts he gave us. This is what it currently looks like in the enclosure, there will be some more cleanup with wire ties to make it look better. Then I will work on a wiring diagram to place on the lid for future potential troubleshooting.


To wrap up this is what needs to be still done.

  • We need to install the software on the computer
  • Adjust the pot for the speed signal reference
  • Make associated labels including the wiring diagrams.
12 Likes

great work guys!

1 Like

We (by we I mean Chris) are working on the G-code to make our maiden hemisphere.

3 Likes

I will come up this weekend and load the software onto the crash cart. The machine is done I just have to check that the post processor for fusion is working now.

3 Likes

If you let me know what time you’re doing it, I’ll come up there and mock you for moral support.

Well the meeting is in a couple hours. What a better time to do it.

Slowly moving. I found a Post-processor that I think will work. I have created a Demo-project but need to create the tools for the Cam portion of Fusion. I hope I can be by today to get the insert designation to create the tool library.
It is a simple top, I may have to change the design based on the tools that we have.

3 Likes

Tim, I just recently purchased some small lathe tool blanks if you need some to cut tools:

1 Like

Thank you sir for the offer. At this exact time, I’m going to try to attempt to use the canned settings from Fusion which have most of the insert stuff already built out. Not saying I wont be willing to give it a try though. I want to take out as many human(me) variables as possible.