Update on sherline CNC lathe

good stuff!

1 Like

Mounted the drive in an enclosure for more room for potential upgrades in the future of a speed controller. Tied the CPC connector in on the outside, still have the inside to do. Obviously I still need to do cable management which I have a few different things for it.

7 Likes

Slowly forward progress.
I tied in the speed controller to the CPC 7 pin connector, installed a solid state relay, put in a fuse holder, & put in strain reliefs. I went to run the cable from the main control box to the motor drive & found that someone ran off with/moved/misplaced my SO cable.

4 Likes

Forward ahead.
I wired in the 120 into the fuse holder, wired the 120 to the motor controller( sorry for the EU wire colors but it was the only SO cord we could find at the space), re-ran & placed the manual speed control knob.

So what’s left you might ask.
Ground wire to the case, wire the pilot(low voltage) side of the SSR & cable management. We have all the cable management items at the space to tidy the exterior cabling going to the steppers & limit switches.

8 Likes

Good job! Proceeding forward with much Gusto

2 Likes

More progress this afternoon. One axis with wire management, ground done, however I could not find the right size screws for the SSR.

2 Likes

Am I the only one surprised you didn’t just make some?

5 Likes

I would have probably but the easy thread gauges being on a cable makes it difficult to be 100% on the size. Because of the cable, I could not easily turn the test gauge to verify the size. I think we have other styles but I forgot about them.

2 Likes

If you have a reasonably good guess on the screw size I could go by Elliotts and see what I can find.

1 Like

Picked up a few different sizes of metric & its 4 mm. Finished cleaning the wiring up this afternoon.

10 Likes

So Saturday @Chris_Wischkowsky & myself got the lathe closer to the finish line. We were able to get the machine homed. We tested the first SSR, it was bad. The second was good. However we began chasing our tails with the spindle speed. At full speed in the current condition it runs 895 rpms. It should run at 1400. We weren’t able to find out why other than maybe it was just at that speed. We tried various ways of triggering the start but in the end it did not change the top end speed. We need a small piece of 14 AWG about 8-10 “ in Orange to tie the electrical back in for the spindle. We also just need to place the enable for the spindle start stop into the software. After those 2 & securing the case to the base it will be able to run.

8 Likes

So I was able to troubleshoot the motor today by using another speed controller from the “metric” Sherline. The speed controller on the CNC lathe is bad to where it does not want to speed up. So the max speed on it is 895 rpm’s or so until we get a new controller for it.

4 Likes

sorry to hear that. let’s do it.

1 Like

The Sherline speed controller is from KB Electronics. Check the model number on the controller and download the Datasheet and User Manual. There are several adjustments for speed and torque. Suggest that you check this out prior to buying a new controller.

4 Likes

Pretty much went by what I thought, essentially I did mostly what the book says. We have the KBLC-240DS. I did not physically check the horsepower resistor however.

You will notice the CNC one has (3375A) vs the other (3375B) on the other, I did rudimentary searches but did not find any good results for the difference between the 2.

2 Likes

I see from your photo you have the KBLC-240DS Controller. The link I gave you above does not have that specific model, but it does have the KBIC-240DS Controller which looks similar. I can only assume that Sherline got it’s own model number. Check out the list of User Manuals near the bottom of the page. It should still give you information about the Max Speed and Torque adjustments on the Controller, those features should be the same from controller to controller. This is the motor controller and motor that came with the Lathe when I originally got it.

2 Likes

They are really close to being the same. I have previously turned the Max down then up all the way to see if it made a difference, pots will at sometimes develop a bad spot in them. This has been my experience with what I do for a living. When we get the new board & after I verify the speed, I will paint all the pots to make sure there is no movement in them.

1 Like

If the speed control is in a box, use security Torx screws and put a label over one of them.

1 Like

After more troubleshooting, it’s definitely the controller. I swapped the resistors after attempting to measure them unsuccessfully in elab. FYI the resistance is supposed to be .015 ohms.

1 Like

Here is an interesting website that sells upgraded motors and headstocks for the Sherline equipment. GlockCNC

I modified my personal CNC’ed Sherline Mill with a heavy duty headstock that will accept R8 tooling. Then I use Tormach TSS adapters for quick change tooling. The R8 headstock removes about an inch of Z axis clearance so I installed a taller Sherline Z column to compensate for that. I still use the original Sherline motor, plenty of power for me. So why did I change to R8 on a Sherline? If you have ever used Tormach TSS adapters, then you would understand. Easy quick change with no tooling recalibration. I use Mach4 for my CNC program. I switch it back and forth between my Mill and Lathe.

4 Likes